Author Topic: Can i get a blower for my scroll saw  (Read 21616 times)

navymancdf

Can i get a blower for my scroll saw
« on: November 30, 2011, 04:46:23 pm »
So after working on my scroll saw for the last week i realize no matter what i do my air blower does not work at all. im getting sick of blowing saw dust away as i cut is there a off brand that can be bought to attach. the kind of scroll saw i have is a ACE brand 16".  thnak you for you help

COrey

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Can i get a blower for my scroll saw
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2011, 04:53:00 pm »
A lot of people adapt an aquarium air pump as a blower. From all the reviews it works quite well.  8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2011, 07:30:34 am by Russ C »
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

navymancdf

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2011, 04:57:44 pm »
how do you do that thought they needed water so they dont burn out

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2011, 05:46:12 pm »
The unit Russ is talking about is an air pump that is mounted outside of the tank and blows air through a tube into the tank. Here is an example: http://www.thatpetplace.com/pet/prod/240193/product.web
Dan In Southern California

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 08:15:06 pm »
So after working on my scroll saw for the last week i realize no matter what i do my air blower does not work at all. im getting sick of blowing saw dust away as i cut is there a off brand that can be bought to attach. the kind of scroll saw i have is a ACE brand 16".  thnak you for you help

COrey

I had a ace scroll saw I took it back it sucked....

SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

ChuckD

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 10:46:27 pm »

COrey

I had a ace scroll saw I took it back it sucked....

That is not their problem. It don't blow.  But why do you want to have dust blowing all over the place.  Why not collect it?  There is a bunch of posts on keeping the dust out of the air.  It is not good for you and to collect it is not any more trouble than blowing it.  If you have saw dust on your glasses you got it going to your lungs and that don't sound good.

navymancdf

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 11:18:11 pm »
Cyber yes it is not the greatest but with my budget right now it works. im started a saving jsut so i can save up for the next year and buy one.   yeah im sure the dust is bad for me but cant be worse then have the stuff i have breathed in on my job sites.

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 04:06:15 am »
I'm using a fish tank pump too.

There are a couple of benefits from this:

- the fish tank pump is blowing constant and not just when the saw is running
- the blower has a constant blow no matter at which speed the saw is running
- you can dismount the original blowing system, which causes the saw to run much smoother and more silent.

My pump is the smallest one I could get - I think it's designed for a 60l fish tank. That's enough, you just want that sweet spot in front of the blade to be clean, no need for a hurricane in the shop.

You should also mount one of those loc-line blowers. These are fantastic, you can work with that much better than with any other system.

Here is a link to the thread for the modification: custom dust blower for my saw

joey65746

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 05:49:58 am »
hello  if you go to  pozsgaidesigns.com
   he has blower set up that will fit al kinds of saws it is 12 bucks that wood fit your saw

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 07:34:48 am »
You should be able to find an aquarium air pump somewhere local. Usually any store that carries pet supplies. Like Dan said it is an air pump that is mounted outside of the tank and blows air through a tube into the tank. I also really like the loc-line blowers that Torsten uses.   8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

daliclimbs

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2011, 08:34:48 am »
Yep.. I use an aquarium blower by choice also. I just like it much better.

Offline Billy in Va

• DONT GROW UP ITS A TRAP!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 04:44:07 pm »
This subject seems to come up often, so I wanted to put in my 2C.  I was looking for a aquarium pump a couple of years ago when I ran across a used nebulizer at a flea market. I kinda explained what I wanted it for to the lady but she really didn't understand. I was not sure if it would work correctly  but she offered it for $1. Long story short -  It is still hooked up today.  I left the original blower hooked up (Dewalt 788). I have it hooked to my foot switch so it comes on and off with the saw.
Common Sense is a flower that does not grow in everyone's garden
Scrollin' - Scrollin' Scrollin' on the River

SMF

Teknoromi