Author Topic: Converting from XP to Win. 7  (Read 4926 times)

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
Re: Converting from XP to Win. 7
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2011, 03:19:25 am »
I'm still trying to figure out DOS. 
I gave up on that a long time ago!

I'm wondering if there is a way to change back to an earlier format such as is in XP, the semitransparent setup in Win. 7 creates a lot of eye strain. I hate it. I also like to be able to go anywhere by clicking on the start menu as has been the norm forever, this libraries crap is altogether bumfuzzling to me. I'm used to being able to see the full tree when I open "My Computer" that is how I've always set up and stored my files. Is it just my ignorance of the new program or what? I was looking for where the old programs would ask you which start configuration you wanted the new one or the classic, never did find it.
I tried to open the messages setup and it asked for the ID number from the back of the machine, seems they screwed that up during the Referb. So I've downloaded Office 7 with Outlook I'm hoping that will be compatible with all my mail files and at least look familiar.
I still think if it isn't broke DON'T FIX IT!
Disgusted with "IMPROVEMENTS"  >:( >:( >:(
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

tux_linux

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2011, 04:11:25 am »
Gabby, try Classic Shell. It has some XP effects inside, e.g. the start menu that you were used to. Works great.

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2011, 08:47:48 am »
If the machine ever had XP installed then it is compatible and you could always format the hard drive and install XP.  If it was made for Windows 7 it may still work, but you could have some hardware that might not be recognized by XP and they might not be compatible.  Give it a while.  7 is a good system.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

ChuckD

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2011, 10:40:21 pm »
I'm with Gabby.  I don't like it.  But then I am not a computer whiz and very impatient when it comes to these TV With the typewriter attached.  I have a laptop with Win 7 beside my desktop with XP  and Firefox.  Wonder it I could put FF on the laptop?  That's a thought..

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2011, 09:30:58 pm »
If the machine ever had XP installed then it is compatible and you could always format the hard drive and install XP.  If it was made for Windows 7 it may still work, but you could have some hardware that might not be recognized by XP and they might not be compatible.  Give it a while.  7 is a good system.

Bill How would I know if it ever had XP installed? As far as I know it's a new re ferb and all I know is it has Win. 7 now.
Torsten would installing Classic Shell eliminate the see through pages and give me the start tree from the older programs? Or do I have to download something else? I don't want to load anything that will affect the operation of the new computer, I'm just not that savvy. All the cute acronyms leave me totally confused.
Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2011, 09:54:44 pm »
Hey Gabby, if you don't like the see through feature you can turn it off. Go to My Computer(should have said Control Panal-oops), click on appearance and personalization, under personalization click on change window glass colors, then uncheck the little box for enable transparency. On your email you can use windows live in windows 7. It is basically the same as outlook. I set mine up in wndows live and it works the same way and looks about the same as outlook. Hope this helps.

Kim
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 06:52:02 pm by kimb »

ChuckD

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2011, 01:11:29 am »
Thanks Kim, don't know about Gabby, but I will try thet.

tux_linux

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2011, 08:30:09 am »
Gabby, the classic shell will bring the old start menu back.
I never could find my peace with the new menus that MS offers since Vista. I want the old menu, that one was great to work with.

And try Kim's suggestion. You can't harm the computer, it will just change the look & fell a bit.
There will always be the option to bring it all back to the original style.

ChuckD

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2011, 02:44:46 pm »
I may be sneaking into Gabby's question but I have one after following the advise you all have given.  I added Classic Shell and it still looks the same.  Just what changes can I expect?  Thanks for your help.  I really need it..LOL

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2011, 04:59:32 pm »
Chuck...have you re-booted your computer after the changes?

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline kimb

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2011, 06:49:41 pm »
Hey Chuck, I messed up on my first post when I said go to my computer. I should have said control panal. Anyway I just tried mine to see what it would do. I went to control panal, clicked on personalization, scrolled down a little bit and found windows classic and I clicked on that and mine changed immediately. I clicked back on my theme I already had set and it changed back. I don't really know why yours doesn't change. Does yours have an apply button you need to press?

Kim

ChuckD

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2011, 07:21:27 pm »
Thanks Guys, got it where I want it.  Appreciate your help.

tux_linux

« Reply #27 on: December 11, 2011, 06:17:00 am »
Kim, that's another thingy. the classic shell is a tuning tool, which adds some little functionality.

see the Classic Shell gallery for some info.

Offline spiderman

• Spiderman
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2011, 12:25:27 am »
I'm still trying to figure out DOS. 

There is a book call  MS-DOS for dummies at www.dummies.com  lots of other computer and software books.   

I also like Scott mueller's books.  enjoy.
SPIDERMAN THE KING OF THE WEB

ChaplainRon

« Reply #29 on: January 13, 2012, 02:10:16 pm »
Reading this reminded me of logging into local bulletin boards with my Commodore 64 and a 300 baud modem..... Talk about slow....

SMF

Teknoromi