Author Topic: Graphics tablet  (Read 2003 times)

thawkins57

Graphics tablet
« on: January 09, 2012, 02:02:17 pm »
Last week, I bought a Wacom Bamboo Capture graphics tablet ($99, cheaper at Amazon.com).  I have to say it makes portrait pattern design so much easier than using a mouse.  Touch the stylus to the pad... press harder for wider lines, back off for thinner lines... click on the eraser tool, press harder for wider erasures, etc.  It's probably cut my design time in half, not having to redo innacurate work with the mouse and changing line widths.  If you're into design, give it a try.

Tim

Unknotted

Re: Graphics tablet
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2012, 07:11:39 pm »
I have a Bamboo also and love it.

thawkins57

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2012, 08:28:17 pm »
Isn't it great?  Who'da thought?  LOL

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2012, 01:14:20 am »
I have a little older model Waacom that I bought to aid in digitizing embroidery patterns for my wife.  They do work well.  Now if I could only really learn to use google sketchup for woodworking and incorporate the tablet into that.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

thawkins57

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2012, 08:10:32 am »
Now if I could only really learn to use google sketchup for woodworking and incorporate the tablet into that.
I was using Photoshop 6.0 that I inherited 12 or so years ago, but the Capture came with Photoshop Elements 8.0 that also works well; even easier than Photoshop.  Once you get the basics down, it comes pretty easily.

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2012, 08:49:59 am »
I have had a Bamboo Tablet for about three years. There is a transition to get use to it after using a mouse for 20 years.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

daliclimbs

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2012, 11:07:05 am »
I have thought more than once of taking the tablet leap.. you folks may have sold me!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2012, 04:11:22 pm »
Here's a silly question. I am left handed but use the mouse with my right hand. I suppose I could use the tablet with my left hand and the mouse with the right?
Dan In Southern California

Mainewoods

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 04:33:02 pm »
i've been using a Wacom Graphire 2 tablet since the late 90's.  For photo editing (and the few scroll patterns I've done) I couldn't live without it!  Wasn't cheap, but I've never regretted buying it.

@Dan  I'm a lefty too and yes, I use the stylus in my left hand and the mouse in my right.  I find I'm quicker in the menus and adjusting sliders and such with the mouse, but when it comes to actually manipulating things within the picture, I'm waaay more accurate with the tablet.

Offline BigPete

• Bonnie Scotland !
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 04:44:34 pm »
Yes i think i may have to get one to try as well
War does not determine who is right - Only who is left !

Unknotted

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 07:32:04 pm »
At first I found it a little difficult to stay on the lines when tracing something onto a new layer with the stylus.   So for awhile I just did point to point ( Paintshop pro) with the pen tool and just did a tap, tap, tap as I went along.  I'm better at just tracing right along now, but if any of you get one and have trouble, you might consider doing as I did if your program has that ability.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 07:52:31 pm »

@Dan  I'm a lefty too and yes, I use the stylus in my left hand and the mouse in my right.  I find I'm quicker in the menus and adjusting sliders and such with the mouse, but when it comes to actually manipulating things within the picture, I'm waaay more accurate with the tablet.
Thanks Glen!
Dan In Southern California

SMF

Teknoromi