Author Topic: Finishing Baltic Birch Plywood?  (Read 7540 times)

Offline Danny

• View Profile
Finishing Baltic Birch Plywood?
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:07:36 pm »
I know for some this is a kind a re-run post, but it has really been bothering me.
Cutting a Portrait out of say 1/4 BB is from all that you all have said the better of wood choices.  Run it thru a Danish Oil or other and a shot of semi-gloss lacquer and all looks good.  I've been cutting various designs of Christmas Ornaments.  All using 1/8 BB. 

MY QUESTION....  How does everyone finish them?  My hang up is using the various danish oils or even a stain and a couple coats of semi-gloss lacquer
they just look plain ole PLAIN. 

The projects I have finished in the past like using Pine, Popular,Cedar or other big store wood.  The final coat of Lacqure is Beautiful with a wonderful looking shine.

Anyway....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline geneVG

• View Profile
Re: Finishing Baltic Birch Plywood?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 09:52:47 pm »
Hi Danny,
I'm the last one to give advice, but when I have used BB I stain it an then two or three coats of Poly.  I think they turned out OK.  What I do is sand then till they are  real smooth on both sides then I get ready to cut.  After I resand them before I stain or go natual with them.. I don't know if this helps but I tryed.

gene
Gene Van Grevenhof

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 11:21:08 pm »
This may sound like an extreme answer Danny, but if you really prefer the look of the more figured woods and you can't find plywood with those veneers as a top layer, it wouldn't be very hard for you to buy some veneer and put your own choice of top layers on before you cut them.  When done on small pieces, veneer isn't that hard to apply.  You can buy it at Woodcraft or any number of places in a variety of woods and in either paperbacked or standard.  Cut a piece a little larger than the plywood you will use, coat both the top of the plywood and the back of the veneer with contact cement (preferably not the low odor type).  Set the veneer on top of the plywood and then use something to roll it out and remove any bubbles in the glue.  You can use a router or sander to flush cut the edges, and you are in business with the wood of your choice.  If you go that route, you might want to consider putting some kind of laminate on the back side of the plywood also to prevent curling due to drying and uneven pressures on the plywood.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 10:25:00 am »
Hey Bill....  Now I sure like your thoughts of using veneers.  I can just imagine how the finished product would look as compared to the BB look.  Thanks  :+}

And Gene your advice is the way I always get the wood preped before cutting and also afterwards.  I am just a fan of a shine on my finished crafts and BB just does not make it. 

Has anyone tried bills suggestion about veneer?  Would LOVE to hear all about it. 

Thanks....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline edward

• View Profile
    • eds scrollwork
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 12:21:37 pm »
 When I do Portraits on  BB I dip them in Danish oil, let dry for 24 Hrs and spray with shallac, works good for me. Also on other woods such as Oak, Maple, Popular, Danish oil brings out the grain, learned this from a professional finisher.  Edward

tux_linux

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 04:41:49 pm »
try them all, Danny, that's the only way to find out.

I sometimes use just wax. The wood remains it's light color while the top gets really slick. It also smells good.

thumbs

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:55:40 pm »
Danny--I don't use BB for anything other than 1/8 inch for small items--I have had real good luck with 1/4 inch oak ply from Menard's--That's a big box chain in the upper mid west--I like the oak grain for my portraits-really stands out with a clear spray- That's my 10 cents worth on a bad day--Richard aka thumbs ;D

SMF

Teknoromi