Author Topic: Looking for a food safe varnish  (Read 28894 times)

TJJack

Looking for a food safe varnish
« on: July 14, 2011, 09:18:42 am »
Can anyone tell me a good food safe varnish that can be used on salad bowls and Mugs? I want something high gloss that almost looks like polyurethane, but food safe. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Dav

Re: Looking for a food safe varnish
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 09:21:52 am »
woodcraft has a salad bowl finish that comes out glossy and is a hard finish

jim stiek

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 09:49:51 am »
I am told that any finish that has cured  is food safe, the key here is cured not dry check mfg. material safety data sheets for this info.or contact them directly.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 10:35:37 am »
Hey TJ, Welcome to the forum. Why don't you go over to the introduction page and introduce yourself.
As Jim said. all finishes sold in the U.S. are food safe once they are cured. but most wont be water proof. For bowls, mineral oil will work as will the salad bowl finishes available at any woodworking store or online. You don't want to put the bowls in the dishwasher or submerge in water. But with mineral oil or the salad bowl finishes, it is easy to touch up the bowls.
For drinking mugs, The only thing that will be waterproof is epoxy. I have never done this before, but I have seen wooden mugs with it. good luck!
Dan In Southern California

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 10:49:09 am »
I've had good success with Cutting Board Oil available at either the big orange box or Ikea.  It's not a hard finish, but it's easy to apply and to renew.  I use it on cutting boards as well as hand made wooden spoons and utensils.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

TJJack

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 12:01:02 pm »
ANY of them are food safe? Even things like lacqur or poly? hmmmmm. I hadn't heard that. Guess I need to head over the Lowe's and start asking questions and reading labels.

I am trying to find that food safe epoxy that works for hot liquids anyone know what it is?

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:37:54 pm »
Like I said, Any finish sold in the U.S. are food safe when cured. The cure times will vary and will be listed on the label.

Offline Gabby

• Yer durn tootin'!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2011, 03:09:07 pm »
ANY of them are food safe? Even things like lacqur or poly? hmmmmm. I hadn't heard that. Guess I need to head over the Lowe's and start asking questions and reading labels.

I am trying to find that food safe epoxy that works for hot liquids anyone know what it is?

Here is a simple search results page, you can probaby find your answer there.
http://search.avg.com/?d=4dc5c095&v=7.5.30.4&i=23&tp=tb&q=food%20safe%20epoxy%20&lng=en-us

Gabby
MOLON LABE.
TRUST IN GOD!
 DON'T BELIEVE ALL YOU HEAR & DON'T SAY ALL THAT YOU THINK !

Offline jimbo

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 03:29:16 pm »
Thinners are the toxic substance in pols and varnishes but they evaporate leaving the hard finish which is generally not toxic, but for food bowls I would use aromatic sealer this comes up to a gloss finish and if you wish to iprove the gloss use bee's wax and polish off
Jimbo

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 04:08:54 pm »
You could try walnut oil - that's food safe too. The IKEA Oil is also really nice, I use it for toys and so. Might need some wax afterwards.

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 04:11:17 pm »
You could try walnut oil - that's food safe too. The IKEA Oil is also really nice, I use it for toys and so. Might need some wax afterwards.

That wont make a drinking mug waterproof.

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:39 pm »
..that might be true, I have no experience with that.

TJJack

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »
Awesome. Thank so much everyone.
Torsten, Walnut oil is nice, but i'm looking for a really HARD solid finish. It's good to know epoxy's and what not are food safe once they have cured. I'll be looking into several of these option. I really appreciate the help everyone!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2011, 06:44:30 pm »
TJ, your welcome! I'm sure you will have a lot to offer this forum!

SMF

Teknoromi