Author Topic: My Hegner - fighting with the blade clamps  (Read 28141 times)

tux_linux

My Hegner - fighting with the blade clamps
« on: July 02, 2011, 10:20:50 am »
Hey!

So my new saw is there here(!) and operational:

It's so swweeeeet. Hardly no vibrations, running smooth (big oscillating weight!). I will add a dust blower, that should be delivered next week.

The bicycle quick release works like a charm. I have simply added the delta-blocks to it and mounted it. No big deal.

The only thing I'm absolutly disappointed of are the blade clamps.
They are "complicated" - or, let's name it: They are a pain in the a**!

It's really difficult to fix the blade in there. You need to get the blade centered in there, the screw is going right trough the complete blade clamp and interfering the process of fixing the blade. Once you've accomplished and tension the blade you've got to hope it's not popping out. Today I also had 3 times this problem while cutting (nice!).
When you try to loosen the blade clamp you really need to force the grip. It's not easy at all to loosen the blade, which looks like this afterwards:

I don't know how satisfied you are with this. I'm definitely not.

I'm thinking about changing that. I have this really well working blade clamps I once bought for my former saw. They are really nice to operate, no struggle at all. It's also simple to fasten a blade under the table with these.

The only problem is - they do not fit! The Hegner saw has this split arms ends, which are not needed anyway.
So I'm thinking about cutting them off...

I know this would work, I have checked it a couple of times. What I don't know is what other effects I'm gonna earn from such a major modification. The other blade clamps are a bit heavier (more vibrations?). Will the length of the arms be a bit different?
I don't know. I might need a beer (it's five o'clock here  ;D ) and think about it.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 10:22:40 am by Torsten »

Offline Marcellarius

• Scrolling each day, keeps the doctor away
    • View Profile
    • Some of my work
Re: My Hegner - fighting with the blade clamps
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:43 am »
Hey,

I know there are different type of Hegner clamps.
see pics.
knop2 is the one you showed. I don't use it any more.
knop3 is the one I still use as the bottom clamp.
knop1 has a slightly different blade feeding system, it goes all the way up.
this one is a great clamp. I use it. but I changed it by adding FD Mike's quick level.

I wouldn't cut of anything of, if you ask me. but hey, that's me.

can you try the other clamp?
Marcel

sometimes I make designer firewood....

Offline mrsn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:59:41 pm »
I have the big shiny knob that Marcellarius posted as my upper clamp. When I got it I couldn't believe the difference it made. Before getting it I couldn't get beyond changing the blades to see a nice saw. I have heard awesome-er thing about the quick reliese clamp also, I just haven't taken the time to get one yet.
I am still frusterated at times with the allen wrench in the bottom clamp. Some times it is a real pain.

I still don't know why a saw so expensive doesn't have a better blade changing system.

Offline Marcellarius

• View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 02:13:10 pm »
I still don't know why a saw so expensive doesn't have a better blade changing system.

I tried to put knop2 as bottom clamp but there is no room because of the dust shield.
the one you always have to move when changing blades.
(I guess the dust shield has it advantage when a vacuum cleaner is attached, otherwise I wouldn't know....)
and I think it's because the tork with the is much bigger then with the knop2.
but maybe someone else has other theories?
Marcel

tux_linux

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:05:55 pm »
Who said beer doesn't solve the problem  ;D

I thought onces again - checked once again and then I thought: WTF! Go for it! (..once again...)

I did cut just the front dove tail off the arms . I dismounted them for this, that's no problem at all. Dismount - cut off - mounting didn't take me more than 15 minutes. The other blade clamps are mounted with the same screws at the same holes as the old ones.
I'm really happy with the result, this works absolutely great! The new blade clamps are lighter, I think I've underestimated the original ones.

And here you can see the bottom blade clamp. I've also set a front of the mechanic. No more dust in there! I just put a flat square bowl in front of that to catch most of the dust. Works quite well so far. I decided to leave the mechanic open, the original cover is removed.

The right picture shows my zero-clearence inset (made from polystyrol ). You can see, that the blade is just about 1/8" in front of the center. But I think it wasn't centered with the old blade clamps ether.

Thanks for your comments - I know I'm sometimes a fast decider. Some "bad influence" from my dad I guess (army family...).
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 04:08:50 pm by Torsten »

ChuckD

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:01:50 pm »
Interesting!  Keep us posted on how it continues to work.  I had no problems with my Clamps, just takes getting used to.

Offline Marcellarius

• View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 07:09:20 am »
well, it looks OK on the pictures. your story sounds good to.
let us know how it goes on after a few projects. also the dust cover part.
thanks for the update!

wich brand of beer idi you use?  ::)
Marcel

tux_linux

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 09:24:45 am »
Thanks, I'll keep you updated.

Marcel, I used just a little some of "Paulaner hell" ;D A typical Bavarian beer.
It was more the break and the moment to think about the plan again.
You should check the website of Paulaner, it's a flash animated Biergarten scene - pretty neat.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 11:54:55 am »
Now I have really, really enjoyed this post.  I also have issues with my Hegner and like Mrsn I really do not like the bottom blade clamp that someone from Hegner decided was the best to produce.  Wud like to know there reasonings.  Like Chuck said I have gotten used to going thru the procedures of changing blades, but I am very much interested in Torstens modification with the new type of clamp.  Where might I obtain it?  The top assembly for attaching the blade is about as good as it comes.  My opinion, but again Torsten I wud love hear more about how you attach the new holders.

While I'm yacking bout Hegners.  Has anyone experienced the breakage of the Flying Dutchman blades right at the point where they put that little crimp in the top?  I have had lots of blade breaking at that point.  Used another brand of blade for a long period of time and no breaks.  Guess I'm trying to eliminate my problem being my Hegner.  Anyway....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 12:10:38 pm »
Hey Dan!

I also think that those original Hegner clamps are no good choice.I find it hard to mount the blade in the top clamp as it is to get the blade with the mounted bottom clamp into the saw. I had a similar system on the old saw (Guede) and changed that right away.

The other clamps are from Scheppach, a German machinery producer: Quick fix blade clamps. Those blade clamps should fit nearly all the scroll saws, as the mounting of the blade clamps is kind of standardized.

I will find out where to buy them in the US.

I have worked now this afternoon with the modified saw. I produced a dozen of my fairy sticks, made ~3 dozen rough cuts to gain the work pieces, made a dozen of cut outs and 2 dozen of inside cuts. The clamp is absolute simple to use and doesn't gather attention at all. It doesn't take much concentration to fasten the blade and the handle is easy to use.

Offline Marcellarius

• View Profile
    • Some of my work
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 12:17:24 pm »
that's the problem with all the virtual things these day's...
nice biergarten, but I'm still thirsty  8)
Guess I have to walk to the fridge myself ::)
Marcel

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 10:41:45 am »
Thanks Torsten....  Changing the BOTTOM blade clamp is what I have ALWAYS wanted to do.  I will be looking forward to your help of locating a US company.  Later....  Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

Offline bhenr99

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 10:52:52 am »
Anyone know where to get knob 1 the knurled knob? Thanks for any help.

Bob

tux_linux

« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 06:37:44 pm »
@ Bob
Check out the shops online selling Henger stuff. That one is accessory, you'll get it there.

@ Danny
*lol* I found the blade clamps here: Craftsman 16" Scroll saw
I don't know why, but that entry level saw has these clamps.

It should be possible to obtain these as a spare part. I recommend to buy 2 of these, In Germany they were 10 Euro straight each (~15$), but that sounded like a fantasy price and they might well be significant cheaper in the US.

tux_linux

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:38:51 am »
Found another saw that uses these clamps: Porter Cable Saw

Refering to the spare parts online order system they are Part-Nr. 98 on the Part Diagramm.
Order Number is
5140079-27 BLADE HOLDER ASSY.

costs 9.14$ each. Worth every cent. can be ordered direct online.

SMF

Teknoromi