Author Topic: A review of 3 New Scroll Saws ( A Newbies View )  (Read 19230 times)

Garp

A review of 3 New Scroll Saws ( A Newbies View )
« on: March 22, 2011, 06:44:02 pm »
Hi everyone

I have just started out ( about 2-3 weeks ) and thought I would let you know about the journey I had in purchasing my first Saw.

I started with the idea that a really cheap end saw would not be the best way so I decided on a slightly more expensive one ( ?99.00 UK ) the Jet jss 16 from Axminster Tools. I drove 120 miles round trip to get it straight away (OCD). Got it back to the Barge, set it  up and got scrolling heres a breakdown of the problems I had with it.

1. The tension knob at the rear kept unwinding.
2. There was a lot of vibration ( fixed solidly to a big oak desk )
3. The table insert was plastic & the wrong thickness.
4. All the screws & bolts had the wrong size spring washers on them.
5. The motor cover vibrated even at 400rpms
6. The side covers also rattled due to the use of self tapping screws being over tight & stripping the hole in the casing.
7. The table surface had been machined very roughly so the work would not move or rotate freely.

Conclusion: Not recommended so  Phonecall - Returns number - Refund.

My next saw went to another level completely still from Axminster I went for the Axminster AWFS18 (?328.00 UK) (Hegner 2s Copy) The difference between these two was huge & for a about an hour I was very happy but wait for it heres the problems I had.

1. The belows came free from the lower arm ( held on with double sided tape! )
2. One of the blade holders snapped in half!
3. the Quick release rollers were made of surgical rubber & because the casting at the stops was rough it had caused them to split.
4. Again the table insert was the wrong thickness.
5. The general condition of the casting & finish was poor.
6. The dust extractor connection under the table was useless.
6. I was told the sawing arm throw was 20mm but I measured it & found it to be 12mm so I found a link on the net saying it can be adjusted on the motor arm as in the Hegner manual so I did this and up popped another problem. when the blade was fully tensioned the top arm anti flip up stop at the rear was in the way & it would knock on it.
7. I nearly filed this down, got the blade holders, round knurled thumbscrew, quick release rollers, lamp holder, clock key & bolts & some Orange paint. All from Hegner.

Conclusion: Not recommended so  Phonecall - Returns number - Refund.

The third & final offering is The Excalibur EX21 (?491.95 UK) again from Axminster tools. I know , I hear you saying your using the same Company again but wait Axminster Sales & Service dept are amazing they had bent over backwards to sort this out for me & even though I ended up spending alot more money than I wanted to they did'nt know if I was going to buy again & again from them.

Heres the problems I have had with the EX21

1. Absolutely None (yet)

This is a great machine & even though I am a beginer I could tell the difference straight away.
( I will post some work I have done as soon as I can )

The first two machines were made in China & the EX21 is made in Taiwan, I have an Ashbury AB75 Banjo also made in Taiwan & think there quality is much better, mind you I would have liked one from Canada if I had the choice.

Its taken 2-3 weeks & I can't get enough time in. so my recommendation to anyone starting out in the Scroll Sawing Hobbie / Business is buy an Excalibur EX 21 this should be your first machine & Axminster Tools is the best place to buy it if you live in the UK ( no I dont work for them!).

Hope this helps

Cheer's
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 07:07:00 pm by Garp »

Bill P

Re: A review of 3 New Scroll Saws ( A Newbies View )
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2011, 06:53:00 pm »
I can see the new book, "Saws According to Garp."

I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems, but I'm glad to hear it ended well with the Excalibur.  I have the EX30 and couldn't be happier.

Enjoy your saw, my friend.  Don't forget to show us some of your work!

Bill

woodie44

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:42:08 am »
Hi Garp,

I went through a similar experience in Australia before I bought myself an EX21. I was very happy with it, and a couple of years later I decided to upgrade to a Hegner. But my EX21 is an excellent bit of equipment, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with yours.

If the EX21 stops working for no apparent reason, it's likely the fuse has blown. The manual doesn't mention fuses, but the fuse pull-out is located at the bottom of where you plug in the electricity lead (at least it is on mine). It's a bit hard to see, but a bright torch and screw-driver should help you pop it out. Fortunately the fuses are standard and easy to get and cost about 35 cents here in Oz. I also found using Flying Dutchman blades made things go much better.

I was speaking to the Hegner agents a couple of days ago, and they are having problems with people buying genuine Hegner parts and not being able to fit them to the Chinese made Hegner copies. The machines probably come from the same factory as yours did.

Hope you enjoy your new scroll saw.

Paul

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 08:08:48 am »
My EX21 was my second and possibly last saw.  The only upgrade I will make - if any - will be to an EX30.  I have had my saw for over 5 years and have zero complaints.  I use my saw for hours a day - almost every day and it has held up to the wear and tear well.  Wouldn't trade it for any other on the market.

ArtCrafters

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 09:12:59 pm »
Great review.  I have a DeWalt and used it for over three years.

Denny in TN

cherie

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 11:42:02 pm »
Thanks for the reviews.  it is always nice to see where people stand on their test runs of various saws.  The EX 21 or 30 is in my near future.  (i mean late)

Garp

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2011, 07:23:04 pm »
Great review.  I have a DeWalt and used it for over three years.

Denny in TN

Hi Denny

I should have mentioned in the review that all my other tools are Dewalt & if the DW788 was availiable in the UK I would have tried this one out too. I think I have choosen the best saw in my budget.

Cheer's

Garp

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2011, 07:28:30 pm »
I can see the new book, "Saws According to Garp."

I'm sorry to hear you had so many problems, but I'm glad to hear it ended well with the Excalibur.  I have the EX30 and couldn't be happier.

Enjoy your saw, my friend.  Don't forget to show us some of your work!

Bill

Hi Bill

Awsome title, I should have thought of that one. Doing loads of scrolling the EX21 is great & will put some pics up when I finished them off.

Cheer's

Garp

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »
Hi Garp,

I went through a similar experience in Australia before I bought myself an EX21. I was very happy with it, and a couple of years later I decided to upgrade to a Hegner. But my EX21 is an excellent bit of equipment, and I'm sure you'll be very happy with yours.

If the EX21 stops working for no apparent reason, it's likely the fuse has blown. The manual doesn't mention fuses, but the fuse pull-out is located at the bottom of where you plug in the electricity lead (at least it is on mine). It's a bit hard to see, but a bright torch and screw-driver should help you pop it out. Fortunately the fuses are standard and easy to get and cost about 35 cents here in Oz. I also found using Flying Dutchman blades made things go much better.

I was speaking to the Hegner agents a couple of days ago, and they are having problems with people buying genuine Hegner parts and not being able to fit them to the Chinese made Hegner copies. The machines probably come from the same factory as yours did.

Hope you enjoy your new scroll saw.

Paul

Hi Paul

Thanks for the tip I would'nt have noticed that. Could you let me know what makes the Hegner a better saw as I have never used one ( only the cheap copy ) and has you have used both it would be interesting for me to find out.

Cheer's

Garp

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2011, 07:42:59 pm »
My EX21 was my second and possibly last saw.  The only upgrade I will make - if any - will be to an EX30.  I have had my saw for over 5 years and have zero complaints.  I use my saw for hours a day - almost every day and it has held up to the wear and tear well.  Wouldn't trade it for any other on the market.

Hi Julief

Thanks for the conformation, I made the right choice with the EX21 using FD Blades & I am trying loads of different builds & Woods at the moment trying to get used to as many of the techniques as possible. I am having a great time & will post some pics asap.

Cheer's

Garp

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2011, 08:03:36 pm »
Thanks for the reviews.  it is always nice to see where people stand on their test runs of various saws.  The EX 21 or 30 is in my near future.  (i mean late)

No worries Cherie

Cheer's

ShadowB6

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2011, 03:11:05 pm »
Thanks Garp for the review. This thread has been most interesting to follow. I'm now on my 2nd saw. The first was a 16" SS Ryobi which was a great little saw to learn on. But when the blades broke, darn thing would scare the beejesus outta me. A few months back I moved to a mid range saw, the 18" Dremel 1800. It was a couple of years old but had never been removed from the box, so technically it was brand new. And the price was great. I've yet to break a saw with this machine. Not a bad saw for a hobbyist like me but it keeps on leaving me with the feeling of "there's got to be something better". So this week I started looking at 3 saws. 1) Dewalt 788 2) Excalibur EX-21 & 3) Hegner. Since the Hegner is out of my price range it down between the Dewalt & the EX. It is reviews such as yours that is tipping me towards the EX. Have you had any problems with it yet?

Garp

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2011, 03:55:53 pm »
Thanks Garp for the review. This thread has been most interesting to follow. I'm now on my 2nd saw. The first was a 16" SS Ryobi which was a great little saw to learn on. But when the blades broke, darn thing would scare the beejesus outta me. A few months back I moved to a mid range saw, the 18" Dremel 1800. It was a couple of years old but had never been removed from the box, so technically it was brand new. And the price was great. I've yet to break a saw with this machine. Not a bad saw for a hobbyist like me but it keeps on leaving me with the feeling of "there's got to be something better". So this week I started looking at 3 saws. 1) Dewalt 788 2) Excalibur EX-21 & 3) Hegner. Since the Hegner is out of my price range it down between the Dewalt & the EX. It is reviews such as yours that is tipping me towards the EX. Have you had any problems with it yet?

Hi

Only a small one, There is a thin plastic film under the hole where the blade goes throught the table its to help with dust extraction but it comes unstuck quickly ( doubled sided tape ) I am going to make a permenant mod for this when I have the time & will post this on the forum so others can use it. This to me is nothing compared to how good this machine is. I have been using scrollsaws for only a few weeks so I can go into the more technical side ( yet ) of how they fair, but I would recommend this saw to any one starting out as all the others I tried might have put a beginner off of what is a great pastime. Good luck in with your new saw.

Cheer's

ShadowB6

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2011, 01:02:57 am »
Thanks Garp. Keep us posted on the new mod, once it's done.

math2010

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2011, 01:26:59 pm »
Thanks for your review!

I'm leaving in Montreal, canada and I bought a Mastercraft scrollsaw from Canadian Tire... They should call that Mastercrap... I had a lot of problems with that saw. When I put more tension, the upper arms became unbalance, the vibration was impossible to work with and it was really hard to cut 3/4 pine... They send me to a place to repair it. The guys from Mastercraft told me that I should not expect to cut plywood with that saw because it's so cheap... They finally gave me a new one that I didn't try yet, but reading the reviews on the web, I'll probably get the same problems. I'm now looking to buy an excalibur ex16. That way, I'll be sure that if I got problems, that's the man in front of the saw and not the saw itself... Your comments convince me to go with Excalibur. I now need to wait to have the money for it.

SMF

Teknoromi