Author Topic: "WEATHER ALERT" ! ! !  (Read 12571 times)

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
"WEATHER ALERT" ! ! !
« on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:57 am »
My Alderman is a meteorologist for the US National Weather Service and he rarely talks about the weather but last night he posted on FaceBook that we, in the St. Louis, MO area, are in for a very nasty winter storm that could be a BIGGIE!

Starting roughly Monday afternoon and looks like it will include: rain, freezing rain, sleet, ICE and snow.

No predictions of the accumulations but they are certain it will be a significant weather event.

Got my propane heater and stove, plenty of firewood and fully stocked freezer and pantry!

This just in.....

Direct quote from my weather guru..."Patrick Barclay.. Yikes! Not good when the weatherman compares this upcoming storm to the 2006 Big Ice Storm and 1982 Blizzard all in one. Early predictions are 1/2 inch of ice and then 8 inches of snow."

You may not hear from me after Monday for a while...

Stay Tuned!

~~~GrayBEard~~~

Latest "NOAA" update!

Monday: Freezing rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 33. East wind between 7 and 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New ice accumulation of less than a 0.1 of an inch possible.

Monday Night: Freezing rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 28. Northeast wind between 7 and 11 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Tuesday: Snow, freezing rain, and sleet, becoming all snow after noon. The freezing rain and snow could be heavy at times. Widespread blowing snow after noon. High near 30. North wind between 13 and 18 mph, with gusts as high as 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Tuesday Night: Snow and widespread blowing snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Low around 18. Blustery. Chance of precipitation is 90%.

Wednesday: Widespread blowing snow and a chance of snow. Mostly cloudy and cold and blustery, with a high near 20.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:43:04 am by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Dawie

Re: "WEATHER ALERT" ! ! !
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 11:53:57 am »
GB I hope that the weather does not get to bad out your way and that you won't be cut off. I see that you have stocked up nicely so you won't want for heat and food.
Take care of yourself.
David

marmoh

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 08:51:59 pm »
Stay safe...hope it's not as bad as predicted.....I won't say anything about it being 70 tomorrow here..

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 09:20:32 pm »
Latest is .5" ice and then anywhere from 8 to 20 inches of snow by Wed. afternoon! Strong winds and ice on powerlines do not mix!

May be a long, cold week!

~~~GB~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

boxmaker

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2011, 10:23:03 pm »
I just seen our forecast, and we are supposed to get all snow, up to two feet. They said that last year and we ended up with 41". I hope they are wrong about your ice and all you get is snow. Better get prepared now, bottled water, candles, extra batteries, and anything else you think you might need.

Mark

HWPlmbr1

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2011, 11:07:05 pm »
Chicago area has a blizzard watch for Tuesday - Wednesday any where from 6"-33" of snow. But they think more like 10"-18" Tuesday night then the wind picks up.  Nah! it will probably miss!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2011, 11:20:00 pm »
The front heading your way just past through here in Southern California. It rained today, only about 1/3 of an inch. Supposed to go  down to the low 40's tonight. I guess it is supposed to build as it moves eastward. Good luck!
Dan In Southern California

Becky

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2011, 11:59:17 pm »
It does look like it will be an adventure.  I'm in St. Louis too.  I absolutely have to go to work tomorrow but will plan on working from home for the next couple of days if this is as bad as they say.  That assumes I will have power.  They're saying to expect power outages because of the ice.  It should be an interesting week.

Dawie

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2011, 02:50:18 am »
Good luck to all of you, hope your power stays up.
David

tux_linux

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2011, 05:14:25 am »
*wow* sounds like fun!

I hope you do not need to burn your lumber to keep the house worm.

regards
Torsten

Offline Kepy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2011, 09:19:06 am »
Just heard the latest update here and they are predicting rain turning to ice turning to snow (6-12").  Probably means power out and I live in an all electric house so will spend today storing up some water and moving in a kerosene heater.  The kids are close by so they can help if needed.  With negative temps sure doesn't look like a fun week.

tux_linux

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2011, 09:25:37 am »
You can build a big snow scroll saw when it's a good snow  ;D

regards
Torsten

cherie

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2011, 10:14:15 am »
GB, I remember 2006 very well.  No electric, No water, and no heat.  And was stranded for almost 2 weeks.  Looks like another is in the making.  Watching it very carefully.

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2011, 12:21:17 pm »
It's here....freezing rain, about 1/8 in of ice on the bird feeders already....Ran to W~M earlier and it was total chaos!

We're well stocked and have gas stove and water heater so we are OK there and with plenty firewood (not Designer) and charcoal for the Weber grill I can cook so we won't starve.
Freezer and fridge are both well stocked as well as the pantry.

Plenty of 'libations' to ward off the cold and possible boredom.
If power goes then no TV or Phone or Internet!

Two full 20# propane tanks so can use the propane heater if needed.

Let 'er Rip!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~

cameronj

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2011, 02:01:02 pm »
It's coming to southern Ontario too.  Predictions are for snow to start tonight, continue tomorrow into Wednesday ....for a total of at least 12".
I wonder if it will beat the big storm we had in December.  That one closed the university for 2 days.  I was able to work on my Christmas projects inside and not worry about what was outside.
We'll see, I guess.
Jim

SMF

Teknoromi