Author Topic: Berry Basket is Back -- Scroll Patterns  (Read 10770 times)

BerryBasket

Berry Basket is Back -- Scroll Patterns
« on: October 11, 2010, 03:25:03 pm »
Trying to inform the scrolling community that The Berry Basket scroll saw patterns company is back in business.  We hope to see you soon at our new website:  www.berrybasket.com -- 100's of great patterns at low prices.

Thanks for your forum, Steve....fantastic work!

Offline dgman

• View Profile
Re: Berry Basket is Back -- Scroll Patterns
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 10:10:43 pm »
I assume that Rick and Karen Longabaugh are no longer involved? Will you be designing new patterns or just selling the old catalog?
Dan In Southern California

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 10:21:07 pm »
Doesn't look like it Dan.  The writer of a "Letter from the Owner" letter says:

B. Matthew Jones
Owner,  The Berry Basket

But they are giving away a DeWalt 788 Scroll saw.  :D  Not much fine print and the give away is Jan 11, 2011.

Karl

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 10:29:24 pm »
Yeah, I know Karl, I got their email. I don't need another DeWalt saw. I just want to hear what they have to say. I'm curious what happened to Rick and Karen.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2010, 06:29:17 pm by dgman »

BerryBasket

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2010, 12:46:17 pm »
That is correct:  Rick and Karen are no longer involved in the business.

My name is B. Matthew Jones and I am the new owner.  I was a customer of Rick and Karen's for a long time.  I'm a woodworker who also does scrolling on the side, though I plan to scroll a lot more now.  I used to be the owner of WoodcraftPlans.com, but I sold that business recently, so now I plan on concentrating on bringing this GREAT set of patterns back to the scrollers of the world.

I'm actually restricted for a while from making any NEW patterns due to the conditions of the sale of WoodcraftPlans.com -- I can't say much about this due to the conditions of the sale.  WoodcraftPlans.com is in good hands, though and I look forward to watching its progress.

I hope to bring the same trust and customer service I provided at my past business along to the new business of re-introducing Berry Basket.

I'd like to take a second to make a comment about the CD Rick was selling for a while because a lot of people ask about it. If anyone has questions about it, they are free to email me at berrybasketplans@gmail.com -- Here is where you can re-read the Legal Agreement that was forced on anyone who purchased that CD.  It should clear up any misconceptions:

http://www.berrybasket.com/ContactUs.aspx

If you find anyone selling Berry Basket plans online, please drop me a line because they are doing so illegally!

I look forward to serving the scrolling community and am open to any inquiries anyone may have regarding Berry Basket.  Thanks for your time...

Regards in Scrolling,
Matt

Offline BilltheDiver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2010, 12:50:42 am »
I haven't bought from Berry Basket, however I did buy something about a year ago from WoodcraftPlans.com, and when there was a minor mistake made, they stepped right up and took care of business promptly.  I was treated more than fairly and would recommend them as an excellent vendor to deal with.  I wouldn't hesitate to order again and if Matt has now taken over Berry Basket, I am sure that reliability will follow him there.
"Measure twice, cut once, count fingers"

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 01:57:04 am »
Hi Matthew, welcome to the forum. You are more than welcome to participate here and I welcome scroll saw related ads to be posted in moderation. I know some will complain about spamming but in my opinion it's only spamming if it has no context to the forum.

Matthew I hope I'm not putting you on the spot here. I know you did not own the company when Great American Scrollsaw sold the Berry basket catalog of patterns on CD but I would like to ask a question. I purchased the CD and was quite happy with the contents. The patterns were great and the price was more than fair.  I, like many others just found the advertising less than forthright. To be fair the ad was truthful but it left out some details that should have been included. I have received many emails from my readers who purchased the CD and were also not thrilled with the actual EULA. That seemed unfortunate because the product was so good and if the details of the agreement were highlighted before hand everyone would have been able to make their purchase decision with clear eyes. As it ended up many people who purchased the CD felt cheated. I'm going to ask you this question because when some of my readers see Berry Basket is represented here I will get email. Do you plan to sell a CD using the same ad techniques used by Great American?

I see that you point out in your post that the you will still enforce the EULA. That's understandable and I'm sure it was legally necessary. I still get email asking about the CD. I have always answered the questions that I also found it questionable. Now that you have posted here I will get many email asking about your products. I have always loved the Berry Basket catalog but stopped recommending them because of this issue.  I have thousands of readers and would love to point them your way but this still hangs over my head. If are are legally able to discuss it could you give us your opinion here?   

BerryBasket

Re: Berry Basket is Back -- Scroll Patterns -- More on the INFAMOUS CD!
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2010, 10:22:16 am »
Thanks Steve, for allowing me to discuss this in your forum and for your interest and even-handed approach.  I truly appreciate it.

The CD issue is a mess.  Frankly, the company was a mess.  The idea Rick had behind the CD was for the hobby/home scroller to be able to go to local shows, sell a few patterns he/she prints off a desktop computer and make a few bucks on patterns along with selling their scrolled goods.

I agree totally -- the GreatAmericanScrollsaw.com website WAY over-simplified the above concept while selling the CD.  After my purchase of BerryBasket was complete, I immediately stopped that website and stopped selling the CD.  The CD's will never be sold in that capacity again.

So to you guys who have the CD, you can review the Eula you were forced to accept under the "Contact Us" link at BerryBasket.com -- you are still free to sell the 300-odd patterns originally allowed, but you can't sell them on the internet...only locally.

Most of these "pattern CD's" that supposedly contain 100's or 1000's of patterns are junk.  The GAS/BerryBasket CD has high-quality patterns.  1200 of them!  So for $30 that's still not a bad deal just for the scrolling, right?

Thanks, BillTheDiver, for your kind words about my running WoodcraftPlans.  I will try my best to meet your expectations with BerryBasket.

Right now all plans will only be available by download for $5 each.  Get on the email list, because I'll do 1/2 price sales from time to time.  At some point I will bring the mail-order catalog back, but that's a ways off right now.

Steve, again, I truly appreciate your ear, voice, and fairness.  I'm trying my best to re-establish BerryBasket as a trustworthy, loved pattern collection.

I'm always open to questions and if you guys who read this can disseminate this info to your buddies if it comes up so we can get past the CD issue, I'd wholeheartedly appreciate it.  No more games at the BerryBasket.  I'm looking to the future -- and I'm open to suggestions as to how to please!

Regards in Scrolling,
Matt

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2010, 01:14:42 pm »
Matt, that was exactly the answer I was looking for. Thanks for your willingness to answer a difficult question. I really feel much more comfortable with Berry Basket now. Sounds like it is in good hands and ready to move forward. The catalog of patterns is top notch. I personally prefer the pay/download method of delivery. Congratulations on your acquisition and good luck.

BerryBasket

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2010, 03:51:46 pm »
Thanks again, Steve, for your time, understanding, and good wishes.

To all the scrollers...I stand ready to answer your questions and help you make some sawdust.  Mind your safety and thanks for reading.

Matt

Offline GrayBeard

• My DW 788 sends you HUGZZZZ from Missouri, USA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2010, 01:28:15 pm »
Holy Jumpin' Jehosophat!

Another "Gentleman" in the Scroll Saw 'business' world.

My belief that the "business world" is nothing but 'blood sucking', greedy, ne'er do wells is being seriously shaken!

What a pleasant surprise! Two Business men who are interested more in their INTEGRITY than making the almighty buck from the unsuspecting public.

My sincere THANKS to you both for being the 'gentlemen' that you truly are!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2010, 02:26:19 pm »
OK...I did the deed!

Viewed the patterns, selected one, Ordered, set-up my account, paid for the pattern, downloaded the pattern.
Went to the folder and printed the necessary pages and now am on my way to the shop to cut the project!

Almost instantly I received a Confirmation email and also a copy of my receipt in my email box!!!

Simple, seamless and quick!

Way to go! Matt!!!

~~~GrayBeard~~~
« Last Edit: October 17, 2010, 02:28:24 pm by GrayBeard »
I never really wanted to grow up....All I wanted was to be able to reach the cookie jar...and play with my DW 788

Offline dgman

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2010, 02:41:13 pm »
So what pattern did you get GB?

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 03:06:01 pm »
Matt,

Since some of your patterns are still in a digitally produced format, maybe you could make an offer to members of the board.  In exchange for a real sawn version of your pattern, you would offer something back in return.  (i.e. recognition on the site, the copy of the pattern, or percent off a purchase, etc.)  Whatever best suits your business model.

It's just an idea as it keeps you the business man doing the business side and gives the opportunity for those who love to scroll to show their work.

Thoughts?

Karl

Offline GrayBeard

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 03:08:26 pm »
Southwestern Scene...'what else!'

DP13-22.pdf

~~~GB~~~

SMF

Teknoromi