Author Topic: Autumn Harvest---A Schwibbogen  (Read 12440 times)

Offline Chase

• View Profile
    • ScrollArt by Chase
Autumn Harvest---A Schwibbogen
« on: August 12, 2010, 02:17:11 pm »
Autumn Harvest-A Schwibbogen

This was a very interesting project.  It started with a request from my daughter-in-law for a fall schwibbogen.  As most of you know I?m not the best pattern maker, but a sort of ok as a project designer. 

I searched and searched and finally found some patterns I could use from the guys at White Tail Designs. These guys are great pattern makers and Scott gave me permission to post the catalog thumbnails.  Their patterns are sold in some of the scrolling catalogs, however they have their own catalog with many more patterns.

I used my now famous schmoushng (a word I made up) technique to design this project.  It was a challenge with many inside cuts.

Although, it doesn?t have a Christmas theme (as do most of my schwibbogens) it still meets the strict definition of a schwibbogen.

These are the patterns I started with.

http://yfrog.com/ngwtd4j

This is the pile of cut outs.

http://yfrog.com/mrautmhvstcutoutsj

And this is Autumn Harvest ? ScrollArt by Chase.

http://yfrog.com/mrautumnhvstvaj

As always, comments are welcome.  Whadayathink?

Submitted by Chase

Stay tuned for a combination of schwibbogen and wood carving.
Chase--Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks/ScrollArt-by-Chase.html

Dawie

Re: Autumn Harvest---A Schwibbogen
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 02:36:27 pm »
I like them as a matter of fact I just ordered two german books with patterns for Schwibbogen. Hop ei get them soon, as I ordered these book a while back and they where out of stock, got a mail last week to say they where available again. I love the different ypes you get and can make, I like your saw one very much. Thanks for sharing.
David

UHMNL

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2010, 03:28:36 pm »
David,
Did you ever go to this site:
http://www.va-holzkunst.de/index.html
He has a lot of patterns.   Is het ook heet bij jullie? Is it hot by you.
FD Mike

Dawie

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2010, 03:49:08 pm »
Hi Mike I know the site, there's a link on another site about scroll sawing. I had already ordered the books when I rememebered this site. The weather is nice here was about 22C today and a little rain this afternoon. Tomorrow they reckon it will be the same, so as I need to go to Groningen tomorrow I have decided to cycle there. There is a lovely cycle road(fietspad) now between Hoogezand and Haren goes right through the "westbroekse made polder" which now is a resort and run by GroningenLandschap. Ok from Schwibbogen to nature resorts, but lets face it quite a lot of these arches feature animals. Thanks for the link anyway Mike.
David

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 08:51:30 am »
I think it came out beautifully.

Becky

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 11:02:56 pm »
Would someone please define what schwibbogen means?  I've seen it a few times and took it to be the name of a pattern maker.  Based on this thread, it seems that it is more of a style.   

mouse

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 01:31:10 am »
Hi Becky,
Google is your friend. ;)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schwibbogen

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 07:55:26 am »
Good job, Nice work. Thanks for sharing the links and the definition. I did not know what schwibbogen was until now.  8)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

Offline Chase

• View Profile
    • ScrollArt by Chase
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 09:49:09 am »
Would someone please define what schwibbogen means?  I've seen it a few times and took it to be the name of a pattern maker.  Based on this thread, it seems that it is more of a style.   

Becky, this is a history I developed.  I include this with each schwib I cut.

HISTORY OF SCHWIBBOGEN

The history of lighted arches or Schwibbogen, originated from the Erzgebirge region of Germany more than 250 years ago.

The Largest Schwibbogen is made of wrought iron and measures 23 feet high and 13 feet wide!  This large metal arch stands on the highest point of the Erzgebirge town of Johanngeorgenstadt.  The smallest Schwibbogen fits in a matchbox!

The practice of decoratively lighting windows and tabletops with Schwibbogen is gaining favor among all who love Christmas.

Most Schwibbogen are crafted by hand, as is yours, in small family-owned cottage industries in the Erzgebirge region.  Designed with scenes depicting mining towns, snowy landscapes, and religious themes, the Schwibbogen is then given vitality with its integral lighting.  Some Schwibbogen use candles for illumination, while others use electric lighting.

The name ?Schwibbogen? originates from one of its architectural features, the suspension arch.  It is said that the miner and blacksmith, Johann Teller from Johanngeorgenstadt, created the first wrought iron Schwibbogen candleholder in 1726. Travelling through villages and cities of the Erzgebirge region, one will notice lighted Schwibbogen in windows of many buildings.  This tradition traces back to the Erzgebirge miners.  During the last shift on Christmas Eve, the miners held the traditional ?Mettenschicht?, a time when the miners, the foreman, and all the workers hung their lamps on a wall in the shape of a horseshoe.  This symbolized the entrance to the mine.  From this tradition developed the candle arch, or Schwibbogen.  The miners? yearning for light played a great role in this tradition.  During their 10 ? 12 hour shifts, the miners saw little daylight, especially during the short days of winter.  The miners carved arches of wood for their homes, decorating them with scenes from their village life.  The traditional designs and motifs of Schwibbogen have remained relatively unchanged throughout the years.  The magic of lit Schwibbogen fills windows and rooms with a warm glow.  Schwibbogens remain one of the folk pieces most closely identified with the Erzgebirge region and at Christmas the candle arches of all sizes may be seen adding a festive glow to the towns and villages of that region and reflect another wonderful German Christmas tradition.

Today?s? Schwibbogen are still very similar to the earlier models, generating the same dazzling effect as in the miners? days
Chase--Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

http://home.comcast.net/~chasesmeeks/ScrollArt-by-Chase.html

Becky

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 12:09:05 pm »
Thanks for all the info.  It's fascinating.  Now when I see pics of these I will have a much better understanding of what I am looking at.   :)

It looks very complicated to make and you did a wonderful job on it.

Rick

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 11:16:54 am »
Hi Chase,

What a great job of combining patterns, your latest piece really does represent Fall/Autumn.  By the way, the last time we spoke????, you sent me some information on where you purchase your lights with the white wire, I mean light set that are 20 lamps or less.

Have you tried the LED lights yet?  I tried them and was not happy with them.  I found that the LED lights are very directional.

Be well.

Offline Lejon

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:53 pm »
Rick
I use battery mini lights. There are 10 clear lights in the string, just the right amount for a Lichterbogen. I found the vendor on Amazon called Factory Direct Crafts. The cost was $17.94 + shipping for a package of 5 sets.
Lejon

Rick

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2010, 06:49:05 pm »
Lejon,

Thank you for the information, I will look it up.

Offline heiko rettberg

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 02:26:27 pm »
Hi everybody, here is a link for a Schwibbogen pattern for free.  http://www.schwibbogen-info.de/schwibbogen-vorlage/schwibbogenvorlage-erzgebirgisches-motiv.html    make a klick or a double klick on the picture and copie it. The blue  or orage arrows shows you the places of the lamps. the green arrows are the places of the stand, wich you found in the left corner.

Happy cutting

Heiko

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2010, 08:29:21 pm »
Lejon, I like the idea about the battery mini lights. Diffidently going to check it out.  :)
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

SMF

Teknoromi