Author Topic: Scrolling with my GRANDCHILDREN  (Read 1748 times)

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
Scrolling with my GRANDCHILDREN
« on: February 22, 2018, 05:55:06 pm »
What safety precautions would you take if you are introducing your young grandchildren to the joys of scrolling? What suggestions do you have to help make this a successful endeavor? Pattern suggestions or better yet, examples???? Wood, what variety, what thickness??? All suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

I have two granddaughters, one is 7 and the other is 5. Just for the record, I also have two grandsons aged 2 and 4, probably just a little too young, but not for long.
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Scrolling with my GRANDCHILDREN
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2018, 08:43:10 pm »
I would start the habit of the basic safety issues, eye protection, dust mask or dust collection, and ear protection for louder tools, even some sanders can cause hearing damage not so much the loudness they put off its the amount of time your ears are effected to that noise. This is something when I was younger I should have listened to my parents about having my music WAY to loud or being around loud noises when working, I now have permenant hearing loss, I have a constant ringing in my ears, can not here higher pitch tones.

Eye protection is a must, I have had small particles get in my eyes and its no fun and hurts extremely bad no other pain the world then have a eye doctor pull something out of you eyeball from not haveing saftey glasses on or having something liek carb cleaner get in your eye. Hands show them how to keep them safe, out of harms way. I woudl go over safe working practices all the time, get them in habit of putting on safety glasses without thinking about it.

Their ears also may be more sensitive to sound, though there are some neat hearing protection, hunters use these they amplify sound even the smallest sound you can hear, but a loud pop like a gun going off it instantly muffles it. These are nifty to wear, you can still hear but if a sound isover the preset limit in the unit it muffles it.

Offline Rockytime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 10:46:18 pm »
Do not scroll while wearing mittens. :>)

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2018, 11:58:08 am »
Rule #1 for anyone in any shop....Shoes are required ! ....Flip flops do not count as shoes.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 01:57:47 pm »
Thanks for all the great advice.
I'll get to see one set of grandkids next weekend and we'll see how it goes. I'll give you a full report.
(We will be sure to wear shoes, but not mittens.)
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 06:18:23 pm »
all the above is real good advice, as to actual sawing I did not explain the movement of the upper arm as it cuts through the wood; one of my grandkids got a good rap on the knuckles from the blade holder knob on its down stroke. Only a slight bruise injury but stopped interest in the scroll saw for a long time.

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 10:03:15 pm »
Lots of good advice and suggestions from all ya'll about scrolling with my grandkids. I was supposed to happen this past weekend. Well, other things happened. The parents bought a playscape so instead of scrolling, we assembled the playscape.

I will get another chance in about two or three weeks. If it happens, I'll share the results.

SMF

Teknoromi