Author Topic: Patterns peel off  (Read 3162 times)

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
Patterns peel off
« on: February 19, 2018, 11:10:17 pm »
Been "scrolling" for seven years (ish). I cover my wood with painter's tape, spray the tape and backside of the pattern with spray adhesive, apply to the tape, and cover with good quality packing tape. _However_ inevitably when cutting fretwork or making intricate, tiny cuts the packing tape and pattern separate and it turns into guess work as to where to cut. Does this happen to everyone and you just accept it or am I missing something? Thank you.

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
Re: Patterns peel off
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2018, 06:17:37 am »
I use repositionable spray glue applied to the pattern then stick it to the wood which has been sanded to 240 grit and never had a problem with the pattern lifting. I only use clear packing tape over the pattern on some thicker wood to stop the cut from burning.
happy scrolling
Steve
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline SS Novice

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2018, 07:22:55 am »
Why are you spraying the painters tape ? It already has glue on it , this maybe your problem , Try using the tape without adding extra glue

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2018, 09:09:49 am »
Overfifty, before applying the painter's tape, make sure the wood is clean - no sawdust on the surface and try to make sure the edges of the tapes strips line up nicely with no overlap or gaps.  Once the pattern is applied, I run a small roller over the whole pattern to make sure there are no air bubbles or places where it didn't stick well.

Some are using Walmart clear shelf liner https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shelf-Liner-Roll-Clear-12-inches-x-30-feet/16224481 instead of painter's tape.

If the pattern lifts, I grab a bit of scotch type tape to hold that area down.  Generally it works well enough to get through the area.

Hope this helps.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 12:42:37 pm »
I had this issue alot most times the painters tape lifts off, others not letting the spray glue get tackey enough, using that respositonable spray glue don't hold good on painters tape.

I found something else that worked better though can be a bear to get off but would not lift off at all. Its full sheet shipping labels. I print on them stick right on the wood cover with packing tape, never had a issue of it peeling. It does take a hair dryer to soften the label to peel it off but also left very little adhesive on the wood to clean off. I first tried a small pack of it from walmart then ordered a bigger 100 count from amazon for 20 bucks.

Steve good found some stuff kinda like these labels a peel and stick stuff that stays on the wood but peels off easy he did a video on his channel about it.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 02:13:36 pm »
I dislike putting clear tape over my patterns. No mater how well I press it down it lifts as the blade cuts and leaves a deposit of dust either side and ahead of my blade. Just a small amount but never the less forcing me to anticipate the curve or making me guess just when I've arrived at a corner. So I stopped using clear tape over the pattern. PS I do apply blue tape first followed by the pattern sprayed with adhesive. I have the same dislike for the peal & Stick shelf linner. Cheers Brian

Offline overfifty

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 04:38:50 pm »
SSNovice - painter's tape on the wood then spray the tape and the back of my pattern. Thank you all. Henceforth no more packing tape! Cheers.

SMF

Teknoromi