Author Topic: Whats Happened ?  (Read 5943 times)

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
Re: Whats Happened ?
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2018, 07:54:18 pm »
I spend way too much time on the computer. That said, I open Facebook, Gmail, my financial page, and Scroll Saw Village everyday and leave them open all day long. I get notifications on my phone of new posts. I check them out if they are on a topic that interests me. I am a member of many different pages on FB but hardly every look at them. If I have a question on any topic, I find a forum somewhere that pertains to that subject. I got into metal detecting years ago and joined a ton of them. Then along came woodcarving. Another group of forums. I bought a diesel pickup and had no knowledge of diesels. Another forum. I have lived on forums for the past 15 years. FB will never take their place. So far, scroll sawing has become my number one interest and I do hang out at SSV most of the time but when things get slow there, I come here and one other one. So, I think it just might be the time of year. The weather man has not cooperated for most of you folks who live where I never would. I'm a warm weather person. If it gets below 60, I'm sitting here in my warm office playing on the computer. My wife won't let me bring my saw in here. She draws the line there. Summer is coming though and I'll bet it livens up here.
Ray
Dewalt 788 Type 1, Hegner Multimax 18E, Excalibur Ex-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2018, 09:15:16 pm »
I spend way too much time on the computer. That said, I open Facebook, Gmail, my financial page, and Scroll Saw Village everyday and leave them open all day long. I get notifications on my phone of new posts. I check them out if they are on a topic that interests me. I am a member of many different pages on FB but hardly every look at them. If I have a question on any topic, I find a forum somewhere that pertains to that subject. I got into metal detecting years ago and joined a ton of them. Then along came woodcarving. Another group of forums. I bought a diesel pickup and had no knowledge of diesels. Another forum. I have lived on forums for the past 15 years. FB will never take their place. So far, scroll sawing has become my number one interest and I do hang out at SSV most of the time but when things get slow there, I come here and one other one. So, I think it just might be the time of year. The weather man has not cooperated for most of you folks who live where I never would. I'm a warm weather person. If it gets below 60, I'm sitting here in my warm office playing on the computer. My wife won't let me bring my saw in here. She draws the line there. Summer is coming though and I'll bet it livens up here.
Ray

I brought my saw inside my house couple years back, the look on my other half's face was priceless, I told her it cost to much in propane plus its cold out side, and I don't have the tv to watch or listen too. She just shook her head and told me I am cleaning up my mess. It really didn't make that big of a mess, but I also kept a vacuum at my saw and after so many running cut minutes I cleaned it up, plus i had hardwood floors to sweep up as well.

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2018, 04:27:35 pm »
Ray

I brought my saw inside my house couple years back, the look on my other half's face was priceless, I told her it cost to much in propane plus its cold out side, and I don't have the tv to watch or listen too. She just shook her head and told me I am cleaning up my mess. It really didn't make that big of a mess, but I also kept a vacuum at my saw and after so many running cut minutes I cleaned it up, plus i had hardwood floors to sweep up as well.

Your wife must be way more understanding than mine. We have an agreement, the house is hers and the shop is mine. I mentioned it lightly about bringing my saw into my small man cave/office and the look I got was one of pure daggers and arrows. No words necessary. Ha! But, seriously, I know if I truly wanted to bring it in, she would let it pass. I might have to sleep on the floor of my office but otherwise, no problem.
R

Offline Octoolguy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2018, 01:54:34 pm »
I posted a question in the "Introduce Yourself" forum. So far, it has been viewed many times but still no reply. I thought maybe Steve would see it and answer it but so far nothing. This forum site seems to be going nowhere. Sad. It should be the "go to" forum before all others but if nobody is watching over it I can see why nobody comes here anymore. To bad. We need all the info forums we can get. JMHO.

Ray

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2018, 06:01:49 pm »
  I also would like more viewing traffic for the site, the very low views on the Gallery are an accurate of the low traffic.
Give it a try —

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2018, 09:26:42 am »
ALthough I come here every day I seldom respond to posts because about 90% of threads are about fretwork or patterns for fretwork.  I do not do fretwork.  I always read posts concerning what I am interested in:  Inlay and making toys.  I have found that this is true in all scroll saw forums.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline barb e

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 08:45:44 pm »
I work full time, have a new grandbaby, unfortunately daughter not doing well so spending lots of time with her. If I want time on my saw, i don't have lots of time to look at the forums I am subscribed to.  I try to look at the forums I am subscribed to at least once a week but I don't always. 

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2018, 03:07:47 am »
Rocky, I agree! Facebook sucks! >:(& Mr. Chuck, you are right, Sir!

I agree that this site has lost it's movement. When I first signed up, there were folks here lookin' for all kinds of information. Now there are gettin' to be so many other sites with more folks, more movement, topics in which newbies are lookin' for. And utube has taken many viewers from these sites, but if you'll notice in a lot of the questions or statements that come up, utube is in them.

I don't use utube, either. It's as bad as fb imo. Some folks seem to get educated from it, but I read. I run up on somethin' I ain't sure about, I'll research it & read about it first, then ask questions if I can't get my mind wrapped around it. Old school, I reckon.

I follow four sites, one of them close. But I think you folks are right. There are so many sites, folks are pullin' away from others.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline rjweb66

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2018, 10:43:39 am »
A lot of the sites are down as far as active, but the scroll saw village they seem to be very active, RJ

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2018, 05:29:30 pm »
I check in here everyday and read every new post. But, since I can no longer do any wood working, I seldom post anything.
I worked on the scroll saw since before I retired at the age of 62 (I started at about 58 years old and I'm 74 now) and loved it.
I learned a lot over the years and shared everything here on this forum. If you don't believe me, scroll back through the posts a few years and look for "Rapid Roger".
People have cussed and discussed every subject and problem there is to be had several times over and over again. Things in this hobby just don't change all that much.
And as for you whiners....Just look how many people have responded to just this one thread! :)
Yes things have slowed down a bit (on several wood working sites that I frequent) but trust me, by fall things will start to pick back up again.
Remember, Steve Good didn't just start this forum a year ago, it has been around for some time. Check my "join-up date ! :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 08:37:39 am »
I check out this forum almost daily but  confess that I am mostly a looker. I am amazed at the work Steve puts in to keep it interesting with new patterns on a daily basis, review of various tools and methods to do things., Rapid Roger mentioned about the past sites being so active on any item. I will check that out as I am doing Steve's word pattern " you survived 100% of your worst days" experimenting with a spiral blade  to cut the letters. I find much less turning of the piece with a spiral blade but not really satisfied with the jagged cut they make.

Have a good day everyone

SMF

Teknoromi