Author Topic: Scrolling with Parkinson's ?  (Read 1436 times)

Offline SS Novice

• View Profile
Scrolling with Parkinson's ?
« on: February 18, 2018, 11:34:52 am »
Hi

My son in laws father has Parkinson's and I was wondering if its a good idea to lend him a scroll saw ,

He likes doing things in his shed , He is up for trying it ,

Im more concerned if he injures himself

Anyone offer any advice on this please ?

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Scrolling with Parkinson's ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 03:07:00 pm »
Scroll sawing is one of the safest pastimes in a woodworker's shop that I know of. almost impossible to have a catastrophic saw cut like a table saw could give.

Offline Rockytime

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 04:55:59 pm »
I'm 79 with neuropathy in my hands and feet. I'm left handed and my left hand has tremors but I can still scroll. I think the worst that can happen is for the blade to nick a finger which is only minor. My hands are supported by the table making the hand steady.

Offline SS Novice

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 05:28:02 pm »
I'm 79 with neuropathy in my hands and feet. I'm left handed and my left hand has tremors but I can still scroll. I think the worst that can happen is for the blade to nick a finger which is only minor. My hands are supported by the table making the hand steady.

OK thanks

I am just back from taking the saw over to my daughters , They will take it to Colin ( Son in laws dad ) next weekend
I have given them the basic run down on how the saw works and blade changes wtc

Please its working out for you
« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 11:39:37 pm by SS Novice »

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 07:51:02 pm »
IMHO, which in this case, probably doesn't count for much, I think he will enjoy scrolling. He will have support of the table to help with tremors, my only concern would be the blade changes, he may need assistance with that. I know many scrollers who are handicapped in some way, with tremors, short fingers due to accidents. I even know one scroller who has lost an arm, he has a prosthetic, uses it while scrolling, and really enjoys his hobby. He is also one of the best scrollers I know that does not do it for a living.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

SMF

Teknoromi