Author Topic: Beginner/Blades  (Read 1529 times)

Offline hockeyiowa

• View Profile
Beginner/Blades
« on: February 18, 2018, 09:38:46 am »
Hi, I’m a beginner and just purchased a scroll saw. Blades are confusing to me at this stage. I think I would like to get into Intarsia work. Can someone please advise me what size and type of blades I should stock up on and keep in my supply? Thank you all for all the information you share to help us beginners.
Thank you. I hope everyone has a great day and please be safe.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Beginner/Blades
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2018, 09:54:54 am »
Most scroll saws use pinless (plain end) blades so i will assume your saw uses them.  Many of the people on the forum use Flying Dutchman blades from Wooden Teddy Bear http://www.woodenteddybearonline.com/x/home.php.  To get your started, they have a variety pack of 12 of 5 different blades.  It's a good way to try different blades to find what works for you.

You will also find different people will use different blades for the same cut.  Again it is what you find works for you so don't be afraid to experiment.

Good luck.
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline hockeyiowa

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 09:57:10 am »
Thank you for taking the time to reply and for the advice.
Thank you. I hope everyone has a great day and please be safe.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 10:02:36 am »
Steve Good has a very informative segment on you tube that should explain a lot for a beginner. You will find that you will try many different brands and sizes before you get comfortable with certain ones. It depends on wood thickness and wood type as well. I use various Pegas and Olson but you might prefer different ones depending on what's available in your area. Blades are a personal preference, so no one can say which ones are better then others. Half the fun of being new to the hobby is experimenting. It seems overwhelming at the start, but it doesn't take long to figure it out. Welcome to the best hobby on the planet.

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2018, 10:07:18 am »
We have an article for this subject (and many other helpful articles) on our website here: http://www.sheilalandrydesigns.com/articles/scroll-saw-blade-selection

I hope this helps you. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

SMF

Teknoromi