Author Topic: Dewalt 788 Table Coating  (Read 1939 times)

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Dewalt 788 Table Coating
« on: February 13, 2018, 11:36:35 am »
I bought a new Dewalt scroll saw around Thanksgiving of 17 and was dissatisfied with several issues so I took it in to the Houston,Texas Authorized Dewalt Service Center.  I explained the issues and they took it to undertake the issues.  Ten days latter they called to advise that the saw was ready for pick up.  I picked up the saw and returned to find out that the saw still had issues.  Disappointed, I concluded that perhaps there was a communication issue between me, the Dewalt counter man and the man in the back who was to perform the corrective issues. 

I decided to eliminate that possible communication problem and typed out an explanation of the issues and taped the note to the top of the scroll saw table so the service man in the back would have first hand information from the customer.  When I went  to retrieve my saw, the second time, the note had been removed and there were two stripes on the table top surface where the adhesive from the electricians tape had been peeled off.  I obviously didn't want that, so I used a product that I had used many times to remove adhesive, "Goof Off".  Unfortunately, it removed the "factory coating" from the table top where the adhesive stripe was. 

Does anyone know what this "factory coating" is and if there is any reason not to remove the remaining factory coating so that I can apply paste wax to obtain a smooth consistent finish across the table top?

Alas, the saw came home the second time with different issues!  There is an old saying ".....fool me twice - shame on me".  I will overcome. 

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Dewalt 788 Table Coating
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2018, 03:31:46 pm »
Finish removing the "factory" coating as it is most likely just there to inhibit rust from forming.  Once you have ti removed give the table a good coat of paste wax and repeat that every now and then and you should be fine.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline GLC

• View Profile
Re: Dewalt 788 Table Coating
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2018, 05:55:44 pm »
Thanks DW for the reply.  That was my inclination but with all of the experience in the blog I felt it was only prudent to tap in to the vast knowledge out there.    Regards - GLC

SMF

Teknoromi