Author Topic: Foot pedal  (Read 3275 times)

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
Foot pedal
« on: February 14, 2018, 09:19:28 pm »
I have a porter cable saw and was wondering if anyone has tried a foot pedal. I'm Leary about buying one due to the slow start motor

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Foot pedal
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 11:21:22 pm »
My first thought was yes, use a foot switch.  Then I read the soft-start comment and started to re-think my answer.

If the stop-start switch on the saw is a simple on-off switch - like a light switch, then a foot switch should be OK as it is also an on-off switch.  If there are electronics built into the saw's switch, then it might be a different matter.

I don't know your saw but if the parts diagram shows a switch and a separate circuit board for the speed control and soft start, then your foot switch should be OK.

I wonder if anyone else has tried a foot switch with your saw.  Perhaps if you post the model number you could get a more definite answer.

Good luck,
Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2018, 07:42:08 am »
The slow start is something I don't know about - but the foot pedal is $14 at Harbor Freight so it is not a big investments to try. 

I have 3 foot pedals (2 from HF).  Nest time I am in the US I am going to get another.  I have the deadman version on my scroll saw and the on-off on my sander and on my dremal.  I want one for my drill press.

don

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2018, 10:15:18 am »
I use the HF model as well.  Believe a foot pedal simply transfers the saw's on/off switch from the saw to the floor. 

Larry

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 10:44:16 am »
Thank you

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 06:24:20 pm »
Foot pedal is just that a switch but you use your foot. HF has two different models, one step its on, step again its off. The other known as a deadman switch have to keep your foot pressure on it let off it turns off.

Using the foot pedal turn your saw switch on and leave it on, plug saw into foot pedal plug foot pedal in the wall, shoudl be good to go.

By couriosity did you buy the porter cable saw at Lowe's?

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2018, 06:36:32 pm »
I did buy it at lowes

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2018, 06:41:44 pm »
If it messes up under 30 days you can take it back no questions asked just tell them it mess up you want to enchage it. Don't tell them you use a foot pedal just say it messed up.

Offline termite

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2018, 07:07:51 pm »
are you talking about a variable speed motor ?

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2018, 03:44:45 am »
It is variable but it also starts very slow it take a couple of seconds to reach its maximum speed. Steve Good did a video on this saw, and he questioned whether or not a foot pedal would work properly

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2018, 08:36:33 am »
The foot switch should be no problem.  I have a soft start, variable speed, Bosch router that I turn off and on using a remote switch.

Now a magnetic switch will not work using a foot switch.  I had to change out the magnetic switch on my Hegner to use a foot switch.

I prefer the "click on -click off" type foot switch.  I do not want to have to hold my foot on the switch all the while I am sawing.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline Rockytime

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2018, 03:47:38 pm »
I use HF foot switches on several things in addition to my scroll saw. I use them on a router table, on my Foredom and drill press. I DO NOT use the on/off type. Use the normally off type. They are great and inexpensive.

Offline Woodrush

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2018, 08:30:32 pm »
Thank you I think I'll invest the 30 bux if it doesn't work I'll put it on my18 yr old delta

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2018, 11:31:36 pm »
I have the on/off HF one and have been known to relax my foot and unkownly stepdown and turn my saw off or on, kinda wakes you. Not sure I could stand to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it on while its running though am sure its safer that way for some tools to have a deadman switch.

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2018, 11:47:37 pm »
I bought mine from Rockler a number of years ago. It is the dead man switch type, and I love it. Use it only on my scroll saw though
Stayin' warm in the North country!

SMF

Teknoromi