Author Topic: Comparison of Pegas to Flying Dutchman blades  (Read 8510 times)

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
Comparison of Pegas to Flying Dutchman blades
« on: January 17, 2018, 11:55:32 am »
The last time I bought scroll saw blades was from Mike’s Workshop just before he sold out to The Wooden Teddy Bear. I stocked up big time. I miss Mike.
I am just about out of the Flying Dutchman and want to try the Pegas blades. I looked at all of the different types of blades they offer and it is more than my geezer brain can process.
Question #1:  So, which Pegas blades are comparable to the Flying Dutchman Ultra Reverse (FDUR)? Mostly I use #3 and #5 but also like to have on hand some #1, #7, and  #9.
Question #2:  I like the crimped end on the FD so I know which way is up. How can you tell which way is up on the Pegas blades?
Thanks
Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Comparison of Pegas to Flying Dutchman blades
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2018, 05:37:29 am »
I still buy FD Ultra Reverse from Mike's Workshop even though it is run by Wooden Teddy Bear.  I have ordered a couple of times recently and got great service. 

link https://mikesworkshop.com/index.htm

I order by the gross and so get a discount and the shipping is only $4.   Landed cost in CDN $ is just over $4 per doz.

I am in Canada and the delivery was just over one week.  Not bad.  Came first class mail and did not get caught in customs.  Never has.

Steve promotes the Pegasus  Modified Geometry blades so I have ordered all sizes and still preferred the FD-UR.  The cost came in at over $6 per dozen because the shipping was $13 and the whole order is subject to 13% tax.  I found that when cutting some woods that I could not control as well as the UR.  It probably just takes practice.

I have a a believe that scrollers and golfers are the same about blades and golf balls.  Mine go straighter, last longer, go around curves better and are cheaper.   I believe it is whatever you are used to.

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2018, 12:20:47 pm »
I recently purchased some Pegasus blades, number 2s.  Price was reasonable, as I had just received some FD blades as well, #2, I wanted to compare them. I cut 2 puzzle projects with the Pegasus blades. I found I still preferred the FD. I still prefer Top Flite golf balls over Titleist though too. Perhaps had I used Pegasus from the gitgo the story would have been different. They are good blades, just not my favorite.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline spartanscroller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2018, 10:08:23 am »
I prefer topflite golf balls too. It's cheaper to put three of those into the water or woods than one Titelist!

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2018, 12:35:18 pm »
 :) :) :) LOL, Which is why I like top flight!!
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2018, 07:42:55 am »
I have been using Saw Bird blades from Garnet Hall, but did try Pegas from Bear Woods both are really good. Shipping from Garnet Hall is cheaper as for golf balls I cheap out and use " found balls" and usually drive them back into the bush or pond from where they came from.

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2018, 11:05:35 am »
I ordered a verity packs of Pegas blades many months ago of Pegas skip tooth blades and their modified geometry blades.  There are so many veritables related to scrolling that I try to stay away fro, recommending blades as well as saws.  A lot is personal preference and personal cutting styles.  Only thing I do recommend is buy a verity of types and sizes and try them.  I found, for me, I did not do well with Pegas Modified Geometry blades smaller than a #3.  Just two aggressive for cutting small detail for me.  I like the sizes above #3, when doing thicker, larger pieces.  For the smaller size I preferred the Pegas Skip Tooth. But, I also found I would use a #1 Pegas Skip Tooth, where I would use a Flying Dutchman #2/0. So for me I could not just go size-wise.  So I would suggest verity pack first (I found my verity packs at Lesley's Pattern site). 

As for purchasing FD blades, from Wooden Teddy Bear (WTB) verses Mike's, I found it depends on what amount of blades you are buying.  Example, my last"big" (for me) order of FD blades, I wanted to buy some sizes by the gross, and some sizes by in quantities of less than a gross.  So I figured the cost plus shipping of filling my order at WTB verse Mike's.  At Mike's you can choose different sizes of the same type blades to make a gross.  At WTB you can get the gross price by ordering a gross of different types of blades.  (hope that makes sense).  Anyway, on the exact same order I saved a little over $6 total purchasing from WTB even though the shipping was higher.  So it may be worth the time to figure the cost of the order at both places. 
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2018, 10:20:05 pm »

Thanks for all of your input. Still not sure what blades I'm going to buy, but I now know about golf balls.

Turning itty-bitty lines into sawdust. There is a fine line between aweSOME and aweFUL (this is especially true when using a scrollsaw).

Offline Starman

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2018, 10:17:17 am »
This past Christmas I cut about 60 compound ornaments out of 1.5 -1.75" poplar. I used Pegas modified geometry #5 and #3 blades.  They have an aggressive cut and easily did the job, far faster and easier than my Olson PGT or FD ultra reverse blades.  They also cut true to the line without any bias feed.  I use the Pegas blades exclusively for all my intarsia projects as well.  They are tougher to control on thin fret projects or thin plywood.  There i like Penguin silver reverse or Olson crown tooth.

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2018, 11:51:00 am »
I don't think there is a one to one comparison.  I found a verity pack of the Pegas blades and tried different sizes.  I found that for me, I do mostly detailed fretwork pictures and usually never stack cut thicker than 3/8" total thickness, the smaller size Pegas Modified Geomerty (MG) blades were too aggressive.  I really liked the #3 and #5 for thicker item and for some reason, like people say, it is a snap to cut a straight line with them.  I also tried some of the smaller Pegas blades that were not MG and I liked them, but I had to use a larger size than what I used in FD blades, like where I would us a 2/0 FD blade, I would go for a #1 Pegas.  I do like the Pegas blades and am getting quite a stock of them.  I also use the 3/0 New Spiral blade (FD) and it was the only spiral I liked.  I tried the Pegas 2/0 spiral and I really liked it also.  It cuts a little bigger kurf than the FD 3/0, but it cuts nicely and seems to last longer.
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 09:05:14 am »

I stuck with Flying Dutchman - dance with the one that brung ya.
Just last week I bought 432 FD blades from Mike's for $93.72 which includes shipping - comes to 21.7 cents per blade. They arrived in 4 days. They were all FDUR in 5 different sizes (36 dozen, 3 gross) which qualified for the gross pricing at $2.80/doz which totaled $100.80 which qualified for the 10% Off (-$10.08) plus $3 shipping and no tax.
When I win that Bear Woods contest, I give the Pegas a try.
I didn't buy any golf balls.
What's with all those yellow faces above the message box???
 :) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8)  ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(
And why do they put those symbols and letters on my page when i click on them??? ???

Offline OPi

• View Profile
    • Mahogany and Birch
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 09:07:25 am »
Whoa!! What's going on here??? They turned back into faces when I posted.

Offline slowcutter

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2018, 11:05:20 am »
I use FDUR, 3 & 5 mostly
Been using them about 19 years.
Can't see why I would want to change blades & have to learn control all over again. Get my blades from Mikes
JP

S - ee
M - iracles
I - n
L - ife
E - veryday

SMF

Teknoromi