Author Topic: Blade holder on my saw  (Read 1085 times)

Offline dchishol

• View Profile
Blade holder on my saw
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:07:27 pm »
Hi Steve:
I have a "maximum" scroll saw sold here in Canada by Canadian Tire. Pinless blades are held in place by a set screw which seems to bend the blade and causes the blade to sit at an angle. The manual is no help, as it says to gently tighten the blade with the screw. Here is a pic of the saw. Tomorrow I will try and get a good pic of the blade holder in hopes that you have seen similar and can give advice. Thanks.

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Blade holder on my saw
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 06:52:19 am »
Opposite the set screw that is used for holding the blade should be another adjustable pad for the blade to be squeezed in. this also aligns  the top holder with the bottom holder. This pad is usually screwed into place and sometimes it moves out of alignment or is not set properly at the factory. it could be the top or bottom holder or maybe both.  Using the appropriate screw driver, tork or allan wrench should allow you to make move the pad one way or another.

It may take a lot of patience, trial and errorr to get it aligned properly.

I bought a saw years ago from a large box store  and that item caused no end of frustration and this store had zero technical support, larger stores don't do always well with helping me but a call to the manufacturer did help a bit.   In time I got it to work reasonably well only to have other problems arise.

what really helped was I eventually upgraded to a Dewalt and it has been happy scrolling ever since.

Offline dchishol

• View Profile
Re: Blade holder on my saw
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 07:00:12 am »
Hi Norm:
many thanks. I will search for the pad. As an update I searched for the pad but there isn't one. I believe that I have found the problem though.  When I got the saw there were small set screws to hold the blade. The were to be tightened with a 2 mil allen key. I replaced them with hex head screws and have been using a nut driver to tighten. I must be tightening too much. I am contacting the importer and will order replacement holders. I will also back off on the tightening. Thanks again for your help.

« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:42:10 am by dchishol »

SMF

Teknoromi