Author Topic: Dewalt DW788 foot pedal  (Read 4058 times)

Offline djcarm

• View Profile
Dewalt DW788 foot pedal
« on: January 14, 2018, 06:58:55 pm »
I am currently using a Dewalt DW788 scroll-saw with an on and off foot pedal.  Sometimes when I am using it, all of a sudden it will start running at the highest speed on its own and then breaks the blade.  It does not do this if I do not use the foot pedal. Have you heard of this happening with any one else, and do you know of a fix for this?  I really like using the foot pedal!
Dan Carmody

Offline Larry_B

• View Profile
Re: Dewalt DW788 foot pedal
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 02:04:46 pm »
djcarm, 

I'm using a foot pedal as well, strictly an on/off switch.  I've experienced the saw seemingly to start at full speed even when I have it dialed down to 4 or 5.  I didn't think about removing the pedal control and trying it. It started last week and was really a pain so yesterday I removed the speed adjust / on-off switch control and checked for loose connections on the speed controller.  I did not see what looked like loose wires.  While in their I blasted some tuner cleaner onto the rheostat, but not sure if any got in since it looks pretty sealed up.

Today I did a lot of work with the saw and foot pedal and did not experience the speed issues when starting the saw.  Not sure if I fixed it or maybe bumped something and now it works.

Larry

Offline djcarm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:31:45 pm »
Thanks Larry, I will give that a try and let you know if that works.  It doesn't happen all the time, intermittently.
Dan Carmody

Offline djcarm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 09:11:32 pm »
I tried blowing out the switch, but I'm still have the problem of the scroll saw speeding up and breaking the blade.

I also email Dewalt for help and this is the response I received from them.

"Hi Daniel,

Thank you for contacting us.

I apologize for the issues that you have experienced with your DW788. Unfortunately I would not be able to diagnose the issue with your foot pedal. We do not currently offer this accessory type and have not tested the DW788 for compatibility with third party accessories. I would recommend contacting the manufacturer of the foot pedal for assistance.

In case this email does not fully answer your question, or you would like to contact us for any reason, simply reply to this email.

Thank you,
Nathan
DEWALT Customer Care"

Hope some may have some other idea to fix this problem.

Thanks
Dan Carmody

Offline justlarry

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 10:42:39 am »
Most of the speed changing problems I have read about are caused by a faulty variable speed control switch.  Most foot switches are just an extension of the on/off switch for the saw and all they do is cut the saw on and off.  They do not control speed.  However, you state the speed change only happens when you are using the foot switch. Have you tried it for an extended time without the foot switch? Several hours or so? (I had to replace my foot switch and while I was waiting on the new one, I would press the spot on the floor where the switch normally set and after a few times and then remember the saw switch.)

Larry

Offline djcarm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2018, 07:59:36 pm »
I have it mounted on a scroll saw stand.  When I am using the foot switch I have the saw power turned on with the speed set to what I want. The saw is then plugged into a power strip that I have attached to the stand.  The power strip is then plugged into the foot switch, which I have plugged into another power strip above my work bench. But some times when I push the foot switch the saw will run at full speed, even though I have the speed nob set to 2 or 3.  Do you have any ideas on how I might fix this?  I have used it r a while with out the foot switch and I haven't have the problem then.
Dan Carmody

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2018, 10:25:40 pm »
Sounds like the foot switch to me. Have you tried blowing the dust out of it?
Stayin' warm in the North country!

Offline djcarm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2018, 09:56:51 am »
No, I haven't blown out the foot switch, but I will give it a try.
Dan Carmody

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2018, 05:52:34 pm »
I highly recommend the "Dead Man" type of foot switch. Yes you have to keep your foot on it all the time you want the saw to run but, when you lift your foot, the saw stops.
The main reason I like this type of switch is you don't have to feel around with your foot to stop the saw. Some people don't like a dead man because they get tired of holding the peddle down. If you are tired of stepping on the switch that means you need to stop for a bit and move around and relax a bit. I do the same thing when my back starts to hurt. :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline djcarm

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2018, 06:22:12 pm »
I blew out the foot switch and that didn't help. So after trying several different configurations, I ended up connecting the foot switch directly to the wall outlet, not to a power strip and so far I have not had any more problems with it speeding up. I actually had to move the foot switch to a different circuit than the one I have my shop vac on that I use for dust collection.
Dan Carmody

Offline eburk

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2018, 08:53:28 pm »
Glad you were able to find a fix.
Stayin' warm in the North country!

SMF

Teknoromi