Author Topic: Which Glue  (Read 1644 times)

Offline Mark

• View Profile
Which Glue
« on: December 03, 2017, 12:04:33 pm »
Greetings,
I am working on some "Monogram Swivel Top Boxes" Sheila Landry's design and started to think (big trouble for me)
why cant I take four pieces of 1/4" and glue them together to get the one" thick piece but alternate woods, Oak, Walnut, Cherry, Maple...
so there is a contrast. My question would be which glue to use so when it is cut you will not see it also which one does not interfere with finishes?
At present I am using Brazilian Cherry for the sides and Canary Wood for the top and bottom.
Mark

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935
2021 Hawk 20" and Porter Cable 18"

Offline scrollgirl

• View Profile
    • Sheila Landry Designs
Re: Which Glue
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 01:07:47 pm »
Hi, Mark:

That sounds awesome, but I am not sure on the glue. I would think most would fill the pores of the wood, and therefore look different when finished from the rest of the piece. But many make cutting boards that have alternated species of wood, so it must be possible. Maybe someone here who makes cutting boards can recommend something. I will love to see the photos of your finished project. :)

Sheila
Sheila A. Bergner-Landry
Designer, Artist, Teacher
Owner, Sheila Landry Designs
www.sheilalandrydesigns.com
Knowledge Is Power

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 02:31:28 pm »
I am not sure about your concern but, I have made cutting boards and other items out of two or three different woods with no problem.
I have used Tite Bond III (and some II) on almost everything in my glue-ups and usually finish them with mineral oil or other clear type finish.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 03:13:06 pm »
For such applications, I typically use a common PVA glue like Titebond II.  I believe Carole Rothman prefers Weldbond when gluing up layers for her stacked ring bowls.  It's a PVA as well.  Both dry clear and should not present a visible glue line.  Interfering with finishes is another issue.  Any PVA glue residue that isn't removed form the surface of the wood, will show up noticeably once a finish is applied.  It's important to inspect any glue up for this prior to finishing.  You could try a hide glue.  Titebond offers a pre-mixed version of hide glue.  It supposedly does not interfere with finishes, but I'm not certain if that means that squeeze out won't show under a finish or not.  Hide glue is a dark glue, so the glue line may be visible, especially contrasted against a lighter colored wood.  I recommend testing it on some scrap before using it on a project.

I really think you will be fine with the PVA glue of your choice.  Even a white PVA, such as Elmers glue should work well in your application.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 05:32:45 pm »
Thank you all for the response.
Mark

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935
2021 Hawk 20" and Porter Cable 18"

SMF

Teknoromi