Author Topic: veneered  (Read 1016 times)

Offline Shufflex

• View Profile
veneered
« on: October 28, 2017, 03:56:36 pm »
Is it ok to use veneered wood with scroll saw projects or is the veneer likely to be prone to chipping?
Asking for help is not a weakness

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
Re: veneered
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 04:29:20 pm »
I do not have much experience with veneers but I have done a little.  They are prone to chipping and splitting.  I have been watching many videos lately about marquetry for making pictures and such.  Some cut the veneer with a scroll saw.  I have, but I only succeeded when I sandwiched it between some heavy cardboard.  But I will learn, I plan on learning Marquetry this Winter and I really want to use a scroll saw as much as possible.  I need to get some jeweler scroll blades or at least some puzzle cutting blades.

I did finish this box recently.  It is called a Hamsa box, not sure what the means, but the light Curly Maple on the lid and the red eye part are veneer.  The middle of the eye is a piece of Water Buffalo horn I turned.  Ha, this box is on it's way to a Pole Dance Instructor in Brazil!  That is another story...

« Last Edit: October 28, 2017, 04:32:34 pm by scrappile »
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Shufflex

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:12:46 pm »
They are beautiful boxes, great work

Gary
Asking for help is not a weakness

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:13:58 pm »
I have used veenered cheap thin plywood, sometimes its good other times I have had to scrap a whole project after I spent hours cutting it out only to have the tape pull the veneer off due to the close cuts. Just depends how good the veneer is glued down.

SMF

Teknoromi