Author Topic: Scrollnado modification  (Read 3171 times)

Offline Joe7

• View Profile
Scrollnado modification
« on: October 16, 2017, 10:13:35 pm »
Steve's video review of Scrollnado is very informative - especially helpful are his modifications to maximize dust collection.  I wonder if trimming the upper hose on a bias would help collect additional amounts of saw dust?  Here is a drawing (worth a thousand words perhaps?) that illustrates what I have in mind.  It would not only direct all of the suction down toward the work surface, the bevel would help the hose clear work material passing beneath it.  I would like to get Steve's or the manufacturer's opinion on this modification while I am making a decision whether to buy a Scrollnado (or a current Scrollnado user's input.)  Thanks, Joel

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
Re: Scrollnado modification
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 12:01:12 pm »
Looks to me like you have a flex hose with some play in it.  You may be able to cut it and if it didn't work cut it straight again and still have enough play to move it to where it is needed.  I can tell you one thing, after scrolling for several years, I finally put good dust collection on my scroll saws, and it makes scrolling so much more enjoyable besides getting rid of the unhealthy dust.  Not counting the dust extractor, I bought, the rest only cost me less than $30 per saw.  The most expensive part was the Loc-Line and nozzles I purchased.  The rest is just some PVC pipe and a few connectors.  I should have done it years ago.
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Joe7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 12:31:46 pm »
Thanks - you've encouraged me to hook up dust collection - and why not - I have good dust collection on every other machine in my shop EXCEPT the scroll saw and I sit at it way longer than the other machines.  I'm sure it will make a difference, thanks again

Offline Jracine

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 11:27:53 pm »
I reviewed some old posts on dust collection and recently installed a “Scrollnado” on my DeWalt 788.  It seems to work okay but now the noise from the shop vac requires wearing a good headset.  This is uncomfortable and annoying.  What are others doing about the noise?

Offline Jracine

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2018, 07:38:59 pm »
I connected a small Shop Vac to my DW788 via the Scrollnado dust collection system which works great. Turning the vacuum on and off is a pain so I tried using an iSocket as I have on my table saw.  This is a clever device that turns on when you turn on your power tool and runs for about 10 second after you shut the tool off to clear the dust out of the vacuum hose.  For some reason it doesn't work with the DW788.  I have the DW788 plugged into a foot switch and the foot switch into the iSocket.  The vacuum won't turn on. Has anyone tried this arrangement?  What am I doing wrong?  Thanks for any good feedback.

SMF

Teknoromi