Author Topic: Advice for Led magnifying light  (Read 6559 times)

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
Advice for Led magnifying light
« on: October 16, 2017, 08:23:35 pm »
I use my Excalibur Scrollsaw as a support tool for my woodworking hobby interest. I’m finding more and more enjoyment from using my saw and I see a Magnifying Light would be a huge bonus for me towards my cutting and with today’s impressive LED’s I’m sure I’d be happy with this setup. I’m a big believer in experience and I’d like to know some pro’s/con’s or what your using to help guide me. Thanks so much—
Give it a try —

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Advice for Led magnifying light
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 10:25:36 pm »
I bought a mag light setup from harbor freight has a clamp on the base of it to clamp to a stand or table and I love mine, helped alot seeign where I was cutting, plus I used it for other stuff in the shop not just scroll sawing, pulling splinters out of my finger, seeing small parts when working on mowers anything I needed to see that was small I looked under that mag light to made it alot easier. Mine takes a cfl round bulb if there is a led replacement when I need I will go that route untill I will use it till bulb goes out.

I actually wen tback and bought another for the wifes crafting so see could see to work on small stuff plus haveing the light right abover her to light up the work table helped her alot. Both lights work great and have not giving any issues and both still have the same bulbs in them when we bought them.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 11:11:57 pm »
A few years ago I bought a light much like this http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/page.aspx?p=76037&cat=1,43349  Got it on sale which was a bonus.

I mounted it on a block attached to the wall so it isn't affected by any vibration that comes from the saw.  Use it to light the scroll saw and the drill press table.  Getting up close to the lens doesn't bother me as there is little heat generated by the LED bulbs. Wouldn't work without it.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 09:01:46 am »
Thanks for the informative replies, with a Harbor Freight only 7 miles away I may try that light but I see the Lee Valley light features the LED bulbs.
I’ve gotten items from Lee Valley before and that’s a great company to use, thanks once again.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 09:13:52 am by Bucko »
Give it a try —

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 11:48:33 am »
I use a LED magnifying lamp 100% of the time when scrolling.  I originally purchased the Harbor Freight one, it is worth the money, nothing wrong with it, but I did get a headache every I use it for over 20 minutes or so. I attributed it to the plastic lens and the florescent light.  For some reason I am sensitive to florescent lights.   My be something to do with having glaucoma or the astigmatism in my eyes.  I do not know.  I decided that as much as I enjoy scrolling, I would invest in a goo lamp.  I now have a LED one that has glass lenses.  I love it.  No problems and I can scroll for long periods.

I still have the florescent one, and I use it in with other equipment  like my lathe, where I need to be able to place the light where needed and I do not have stare through the magnifier for periods of time.
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 10:56:05 pm »
The one from harbor freight might see if can numbers off the bulb and see if there is a led replacement or shoot I have one now in my room setup for a small bedside light I could look and see what numbers or brand I could find. Or can go to HF website and look up the lamp, go for the high cost one its better, I looked at the cheaper version and didn't like it so opted to go with thin it was about 30 bucks and fo rme its worth it.

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 09:15:41 pm »
I came across this unit which looks like a serious contender for purchase http://www.rockler.com/magnifying-led-work-light#turnto-reviews-content
Give it a try —

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 08:55:40 am »
That looks like a good light.  I would find the flexible arm a little short but it might work for you.  The light I suggested had a ring of LED lights to illuminate all around but there might be an advantage to having lights on two sides.  BTW, a 3 diopter lens magnifies 1.75 times, not 0.75 times as noted in the advertisement.  Some interesting information on lenses https://www.microscope.com/education-center/buyers-guides/magnifying-lamps-guide/

Jim
PS
I sometimes have trouble locating the blade relative to the line.  Based on the Rockler light, I'm going to test my light with some of the LEDs blanked out - might help.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2017, 09:01:00 am by jscott2 »
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Shufflex

• View Profile
Asking for help is not a weakness

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2017, 12:33:56 pm »
Thanks and I’d sure be interested, the magnify/light will most likely be a Christmas gift for me( picked by me).
Give it a try —

Offline Bucko

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 07:55:22 pm »
I’ve got the Rockler light on order as I couldn’t resist the sale price of $49.99 and free shipping. Hard part is I’ll have to wait till Christmas to get and try it out, I’m very fortunate to have the opportunity to get it from my family.
Give it a try —

SMF

Teknoromi