Author Topic: Rubicon Scrolling  (Read 2067 times)

RubiconScrolling

Rubicon Scrolling
« on: April 20, 2010, 02:33:59 am »
Hello everyone.  I am a vendor and have had trouble finding the right shows to attend.  After going to a few good ones and a few stinkers I knew I needed to organize a situation where the vendors and market managers are on the same web site.  I started a site named,
http://rubiconscrolling.com/
It is one month old, has 20 members that are mostly artist-crafters, not your dollar store-Wal Mart vendors. I welcome all people to the site, many shoppers find their right show there from a list of about 100 vendor attended events I have listed, many with entry forms included.  Vendors can show pictures of a couple of pieces of their work, find the right show, and I have had some Market Managers offer special deals to the members of my site.  Market Managers advertise for specific type vendors, or just need more vendors at their show. 
This site was started mainly to sell some of my projects, but it has become a place for vendors and Market Managers.  Maybe I will sell something from it one day!!!
Randy

Offline Russ C

• Global Moderator
  • Central Florida - USA
    • View Profile
Re: Rubicon Scrolling
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2010, 10:22:17 am »
Someone needs to make a list of swaps/shows down south. (Florida, Georgia, Alabama. I am in Central Florida and those are too far for me. :o
russ@simplywoodencreations.com

Keep The Blade On The Line.

RubiconScrolling

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2010, 06:32:26 pm »
I wish I could do something like that too, I have asked a few computer geeks to give me a hand making this work for multiple places.  No luck yet, it seems like there is allot of interest in this site and it is fun watching it grow.
It does take quite a bit of effort to just do this in a small area of a few hundred miles. I have made many vendor friends, tho market managers in general seem suspicious of what I am doing, yet others embrace me, you never know.  It is all free right now, maybe one day if it grows, I will find a way to make a couple of bucks doing it, if not, then I will find the best shows in my area!

DSurferDon

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2010, 02:59:30 pm »
You said you've been to a few good ones and a few stinkers.  I'll visit your site, but for the benefit of the good folks here, can you list or mention where you found the 'good ones'.  I would like to go to 'any', but I'll take your word for good vs stinky.  ;)

RubiconScrolling

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:02:03 pm »
This is what I found out so far about showing.  Flea markets seem to have mostly folks that are looking for garage sale kind of stuff.  I made booth fees and a little, but it is not the best for me by far.  Christmas bazaar's, some good and some bad.  Depends on what the managers do.  I went to one where there was not even a sign provided, it was the 9th annual.  I made my booth fees and very little above that, but those around me did not make one sale.  Farmers Markets are good if they cater to craft people and not the vendors who buy all their stuff.  I tried a show called the Pet Expo last weekend, it was beside a sampler show.  I lost allot!!!!!!!!  Everyone was there to get free samples, not buy things.  I do mention on my site, in the forums, a bit more about this show.
I am going to attend the Cherry Festival this year in Emmett.  It is a 4 day carnival type show.  I will post on my website about how I do there.  I was going to attend an art show, but I had some work come up and I am going to do that instead.  I think art shows will do well, anyone out there know the right answer to this one?  I also attended a Fall Harvest Festival in Emmett last year, it was one of my best shows.
Thats it for now, I do intend to start a blog on my site soon telling about my experiences.  One of my major problems is that I am not a good drawer or artist.  Woodimal's are one of my mainstays at the shows and after doing a few hundred, my drawing skills are improving some.  They are a great draw at a booth.  Most people do not notice the names in the puzzle pieces of the Woodimal's, so I tell them all.  I feel at times like a broken record, but it makes a big difference in my sales.  Someone casually walking by and looks at my Woodimal's, I ask,"Do you see the names?"  That is all it takes to stop them and get them in the talking mode.
Does this stuff interest enough people that they would like to read it on my blog? 
Randy

SMF

Teknoromi