Author Topic: Problem with Peel and Stick  (Read 2002 times)

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Problem with Peel and Stick
« on: September 16, 2017, 09:42:29 am »
I tried the Peel and Stick on a ornament (not too complex) and thought this was okay.

I am now cutting Dangles in pine and the peel and stick is lifting off between close areas.  I have tried putting packing tape on top.  I tried switching from fd-UR 3 blades to reverse #3.  Same issue.  I have done 8 others where I used tried and true blue painters tape and not a problem.

Thankfully, I have only one ready with peel and stick the next 8 are done with painters tape.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
Re: Problem with Peel and Stick
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 12:07:40 pm »
Instead of the peel and stick, I have been using Wal Mart's Con-Tac brand with no problems.
I lay the blank on the back side of the contact paper and cut around it with an exacto knife.
I always wipe the wood with a tac cloth before applying the contact paper. Then I spray the back of my pattern with Elmers spray adhesive.  Never had a problem.  Hope this helps.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 01:35:18 pm »
Make sure the wood surface does not have dust or anything on it to keep it from sticking. When I cut my blanks I would sand them a tad to get them smooth then used my air gun from compressor to blast off any dust left behind and wiped it down to make sure it was clean before sticking anything to the wood to make sure it would stick. But stil pending how intricate of a cut I had or how close I was to another cut my painters tape would still lift off, only thing I found that would not lift off was full sheet shipping labels once stuck on it does not come off unless I used a hair dryer to heat up the paper to soften the glue on the back side.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2017, 01:41:00 am »
I don't think we are blessed with a "one size fits all". We have many options to attach a patterns. I think what we are cutting should govern how we attach the pattern. I have found that I do have to really rub the peel & stick down or it does lift off to easily. Don't forget in the video Scott made prepping in 1x12 board, he used a small wallpaper roller to do a little extra rub down for his pattern and also P&S. For me the advantage is one piece pull-up and a little less adhesive attachment to my wood grain.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 05:52:43 am »
Update on using Peel and Stick

I have found that using the Peel and stick with hard wood (Poplar, Walnut and Maple so far) the peel and stick works great.  I think the issue is with using Baltic birch or pine is that the wood is not as smooth and pulls off.

I did some of the puzzle dogs from Scott and even with the tight veining on the terry there was no lifting of the pattern.  The best part is that it pulled off all in one piece. 

So I am now selectively using either blue painters tape of the Peel and Stick

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 03:19:26 pm »
Baltic birch can be sanded smooth just do go crazy with it. I sanded all my baltic birch before applying a pattern, helped pattern stick plus it glides on the table better. I used a 220 grit to smooth it out.

SMF

Teknoromi