Author Topic: Need help on pricing!  (Read 1487 times)

Offline Dannyb

• View Profile
Need help on pricing!
« on: June 26, 2017, 09:06:49 am »
I really enjoy the hobby and like most others, probably, I get asked to make all kinds of things scroll sawy.  The hardest thing for me to do is price my work.  I always feel that I am either underpricing it or overpricing it.  People say I am way underpricing most of my stuff.  (Makes me wonder if they are just being nice...lol) Just curious what is a good rate to go by.  I seen the timer that Steve put on here that keeps track of the hours/minutes that you have invested in the piece and I am fixing to invest in building me one.  Just looking for some general input.... Thanks in advance!

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Re: Need help on pricing!
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2017, 02:38:05 pm »
As this is just a hobby for me if i can make enough to pay for my booth and buy more supply's I'm good. The one question I always ask myself is what was would I pay for this item. If I wanted to make a lot o money I might have a different outlook

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2017, 07:54:57 pm »
figure out your expenses first. Wood, blades, electricity, time to cut the project, etc., taking into consideration detail of the project. Also when you're figuring a price, take into consideration the economy around you. Don't over price yourself out of work, but don't lower your prices so you aren't able to afford to do it, either. Then figure out what you want to make. Set your price, & stick by it.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2017, 08:16:20 am »
It also depends on where you are selling.  Things I sold in my booth went for far less if I had them on consignment somewhere.  My crosses and angels were sold at a Christian Book store, Spiral Bowls, oven rack pushers, etc. were at a gormet shop and a lot of my stuff was at a gallery were a lot of wood workers had stuff to sell.  For instance, a puzzle of a dog of a certain breed went for $10.00 in my booth.  That same puzzle went for $25.00 at a pet store and custom orders were common.  Portraits of John Wayne, Indians, Clint Eastwood etc go very well at Rustic Furniture stores here in Texas.  Also, the type of venue makes a difference.  The local festival or church booth brings in less that a really large show (where the booth rental is ridiculous). 

SMF

Teknoromi