Author Topic: Life Size Barn Owl with Church Window  (Read 2660 times)

Claymore

Life Size Barn Owl with Church Window
« on: June 06, 2017, 02:06:05 pm »
Hi,
I have finally finished what has been my most detailed Bird Intarsia at 357 pieces. As you can see its a Life sized Barn Owl flying out of a derelict church window carry a dead mouse  :D such a cheerful design? :lol:
The size is 30" x 26" x 2" and the Owl is made from 2 different types of Beech, Sycamore,Walnut and Oak for the mouse. The Window is actually Pine but spray painted with textured paint to resemble stone and no wood grain is showing so worked a treat. As you may guess it was quite fiddly and thanks to a resent purchase a glue gun it enabled me to work single handed by gluing the small pieces of wood onto a larger piece and then shape using a dremel so no need to grip the tiny bits....so thanks again to those on here who recommended the glue guns :D .
I am working on another Barn Owl but this time its sitting on a gravestone with celtic knotwork carving and will be similar size once finished.
Its all change first with a couple of the Kingfishers and a gert big Clydesdale so plenty to keep me out of trouble.
Hope ya like it

Brian

Offline wedo

• View Profile
Re: Life Size Barn Owl with Church Window
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 10:36:02 pm »
Well done, I'm envious.

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 10:37:42 pm »
Brian that is simply a beautiful piece.  Congrats on a superb job.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 10:27:08 am by scrappile »
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2017, 08:49:45 am »
The Barn Owl turned out Awesome!!   And, love the Church window as a background.
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Offline Dannyb

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2017, 11:23:44 am »
AMAZING WORK!!!!!!  Just Amazing!!!

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2017, 10:41:28 am »
Very beautiful.  How many hours do you think it took you?  Working on one project like yours would make me lose interest.  Cheers Brian B

Claymore

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2017, 04:00:31 pm »
Hi Brian,
Sorry didn't reply sooner but been busy setting a new computer up and organising my patterns etc phew!
This particular Intarsia took around 60hrs due to my disability i am restricted to doing it for a few hours and then resting my hand/arms until i can use them again which gets very annoying but cannot be helped....I am slowly getting a bit faster but i enjoy making them so no pain no gain  :)

Cheers
Brian
ps It sold within 24hrs and I am working on another Little owl that's sitting on a Celtic Cross Gravestone for the same customer , it should be nice once i have worked out how to cut the knotwork design onto the cross :)

SMF

Teknoromi