Author Topic: Greetings from Springfield, Mo.  (Read 1892 times)

Offline AstroEd

• View Profile
Greetings from Springfield, Mo.
« on: May 26, 2017, 03:12:47 am »
Hi, I am trying to slowly get into wood working as a means to ease my PTSD I have not touch a wood shop item since 1982 other than some wood burning. I am interested in Scroll Saw projects as well as CNC routers and Laser engravers that I someday hope to have.

Trying to build a mini woodshop in a corner of my 21'x19' garage. I currently have a new unopened Ryobi 16" Scroll Saw but worry about its quality so might return it soon and try to get a better setup. Looking at Dewalt DW-788, dream about Seyco ST-21.

I hope to be able to pick your brains and learn what to do, try, get, and use.
Ok, I measured twice now where is my Saw?

Offline julief

• View Profile
Re: Greetings from Springfield, Mo.
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2017, 06:56:03 am »
Hello and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  I used to do demos for Home Depot on the Ryobi.  It is a very entry level saw and not the best one out there.  If you want to stay with an entry level saw, I suggest you move to a Porter Cable.  The Dewalt and the Delta are almost identical and both good saws.  I have an old EX21 that still runs great.  I haven't had my hands on the new ST21 yet.  I have a buddy that started scrolling for the same reason.  It has helped him.  Glad to have you.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 05:58:20 pm »
Welcome to the forum! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. If you plan on doing a lot of scrolling, I suggest buying a little better saw, as Julie has already advised. You may want to watch some YOU Tube videos of various saws to see the differences. But, I am sure some folks like the Ryobi  and it suits them just fine for the amount of scrolling they do. I use Excaliburs which I believe are no long available so I could not advise on other brands.

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 10:28:33 pm »
Welcome.  I started on a saw much like the Ryobi.  It is a decent saw to get started on.  I have a DW788 and have been using it now going on almost 8 years with good results.  One of the things about scrolling is it can be therapeutic.  It is fun and can be rewarding.  Looking forward to seeing some of your work.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline AstroEd

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 10:25:12 am »
Well I have almost completed my Wood shop. I returned the Ryobi Scroll saw and got a Dewalt 788 with Stand and light, added a foot controller and magnifying light (Not attached the magnifier yet) I have started on my first project but think I picked one above my skill level. I will try to finish it anyways but will take awhile. I have 4 hours in it already and barely made progress. I also should have cut the smaller internal cuts first for stability but hey I learned.
Ok, I measured twice now where is my Saw?

SMF

Teknoromi