Author Topic: Backing for cut-out letter signs  (Read 3123 times)

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
Backing for cut-out letter signs
« on: May 03, 2017, 10:34:18 pm »
Made some wooden signs with the letters cut out of the wood.  Free standing to put in the garden.
Depending on the light, the letters are sometimes hard to read.  I want to put a dark backing piece to make it more readable.  But, I hate the thought of using a perfectly good piece of thin plywood just for a backer.  Any suggestions on what I could use that would make the lettering easier to see, and be waterproof enough to use as an outdoor sign?
Thanks,
Bellman70
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Offline don in brooklin on

• View Profile
Re: Backing for cut-out letter signs
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 04:34:11 am »
Instead of cutting the letters out. You can cut at 3 -4 degrees so they will stick out.

Paint the letters dark and then they will show.

Attached is a sign the was a custom order and if you look at the "Bill.." the letters are protruding.

don

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2017, 12:59:13 am »
Maybe some cheap pine?
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2017, 10:10:25 pm »
Thanks for the help.  As far as cheap pine for the backing, any wood, especially thin wood is not going to be cheap.  But, I might try the craft store and look for a thin foam board. 

The other idea of bevel cuts and pushing the letters out so they stick out is one that I never thought of.  I have made things with bevel cuts, but never thought of using it for free standing signs. 

Thanks for the help.

Bellman70

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2017, 03:53:14 am »
Thanks for the help.  As far as cheap pine for the backing, any wood, especially thin wood is not going to be cheap.  But, I might try the craft store and look for a thin foam board. 

The other idea of bevel cuts and pushing the letters out so they stick out is one that I never thought of.  I have made things with bevel cuts, but never thought of using it for free standing signs. 

Thanks for the help.

Bellman70

You can go the other way as well.  Instead of pushing out the letters change the angle so that the letters are depressed into the wood by say 1/4 ot 3/8 of an inch.  That works as well.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2017, 09:44:11 pm »
Thanks for the ideas.  Did get some black foam board and glued it to the back of one of my signs.  So far it seems to be holding up in this rainy & windy weather.
I am going to have to try the bevel cut on another sign soon.
Thanks again.

SMF

Teknoromi