Author Topic: Blade Change RBI Hawk 226M  (Read 2872 times)

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Blade Change RBI Hawk 226M
« on: April 20, 2017, 06:46:13 pm »
A friend of mine just purchased a used RBI Hawk 226 M scroll saw; no idea how old. I am guessing around 10-15 years, but it has hardly been used. She asked me to come over to show her how to change blades. I had no clue! I finally got the old blade out by removing the bottom holder and using two pair of pliers (top holder no problem). There has got to be an easier way of changing blades; so please someone let me know how. I am going to look for a manual online, since the previous owner did not have one. She only gave $100.00 for it, so I hope it was a good buy.
Thanks,
Tony, aka,Toneman

Offline tbolt

• View Profile
Re: Blade Change RBI Hawk 226M
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2017, 06:54:07 pm »
Have 2 hawks neither one is a 226 m post a pic and maybe I can help

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2017, 08:43:50 pm »
the bottom blade holder is held in place by two "fingers". One on each side of the blade holder. they bend very easily, break easily too. Just bend those two holders down a little, and your blade holder should come out easily. If not, there may be a tool needed to remove the blade holder. My new one works like that. And then when you put the blade holder back in place, the pin should line up in the slot in the lower arm, bend the holder back up against the pins to hold it in place. Clear as mud? hope I helped.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline rickther

• eureka ca.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2017, 10:51:44 pm »
I have the 226 vs and all you do is bottom blade holder slides out towards you from the holder with the two plastic tines. after taking the top holder loose it comes out easy.  8)
RBI VS 26

Offline stevan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2017, 07:43:20 am »
Hawk Manuals http://www.hawkwoodworkingtools.com/WebsitePages/Scroll-Saw-Manuals.html

Release the top tension lever, pull the blade out of the top and then follow the above directions.  The bottom blade clamp barrel holds the blade in a "V" notch and should slide out from between the aluminum lower arm (with the "V" notch) and the plastic clamp holder.

So I re-read your question and my answer my not be what you're looking for.  But...

The lower blade clamp is barrel shaped and may or may not have a knob on it.  Regardless of the knob, there is a slot on the table that will fit one end of the barrel.  Slide that end into that slot and if there is a knob, turn the knob to release.  If no knob is present you may need to buy new holders from Bushton (Hawk).  However, I have been using Jet lower blade holders with no issues whatsoever.  Hawk $19.99 plus shipping each, Jet 3 for $19.99 and free shipping from Amazon with Prime.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2017, 07:52:21 am by stevan »

SMF

Teknoromi