Author Topic: Chrisitan Patterns  (Read 2432 times)

Offline Sawdust#2

• View Profile
Chrisitan Patterns
« on: March 30, 2017, 01:05:28 pm »
Hi, I am new to this blog and enjoy doing scroll saw work.  I have a well equipped wood shop full of quality tools I've collected during my lifetime and have built many things.  Because of a cancer diagnosis I retired in 2014 a few years earlier than planned.  Having a more limited budget than when I worked, I gravitated to smaller projects.  Hello scroll saw.  Some of the things I make are Christian symbols.  I have a number of patterns for small items, the size being something that can be held in your hand.  I make these of various hardwoods and then do a clear finish.  I make 25 or 30 and donate them to our church.  They use them to put in a goodie bag with some other craft items for new members.  This year they are giving one to each of the confirmation kids.  I really enjoy doing this and probably get more out of it than the receiver.   I also volunteer as a driver at the VA driving veterans to their medical appointments. If any of you have some patterns you are willing to share with a Christian theme or a veteran or military theme that can be made "hand sized", let me know.

John G

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Chrisitan Patterns
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 09:30:18 am »
Hello John and welcome to the forum! Have you visited the free pattern page Steve has on this site? He has some good Christian patterns. Also, you may visit Scroll Saw Village website and also Aarp website for free patterns.If you don't mind paying a small fee, Sheila Landry, Sue Mey, and the Wooden Teddy Bear have some really nice patterns. I have purchased from all three and am very pleased.

Offline Sawdust#2

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 10:58:13 am »
I have not checked out Steve's site but I will now.  I get his emails and have downloaded some of his patterns over the years but I don't think I've used any.  I am familiar with some of the others and they all have wonderful patterns but not many for my purpose.  I want something that can be held in a hand, something that could bring comfort to someone in the hospital or something small that could just be put on a shelf as a reminder that God is near and cares.  I don't need things with a lot of detail.  I have about nine patterns I use now but I make these in quantities of 25 or 30 to donate to our church.  The pastors may use them as something to leave behind during a hospital visit or for new members as a keepsake.  I'm just looking for more variety.  I consider this my ministry.

I too have purchased from Sheila Landry and Sue Mey.  I've also bought patterns and currently buy my blades from Wooden Teddy Bear.

I also volunteer as a driver for the VA transporting veterans to medical appointments.  Being a veteran myself I have a heart for the veterans.  I cannot use the Christian symbols doing this work but I'm looking for something similar in size that I could give a vet just show appreciation for their service.  Sheila Landry had a beautiful pattern that I used to put in the transportation office of the local VA.  It is plaque size and says, Veterans Proudly Serve With Honor.  Lots of people have commented on that.  I'm looking for something smaller that will convey the same message.

I will check out the other sites you mentioned.  Thanks for your reply.

John

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 12:34:46 pm »
John, I have a suggestion for a really nice free gift to organizations or individuals. I make these to sell at craft shows and do very well selling them. I cut a small hand held cross about 3 3/4" tall by 2 1/2" wide, no wording, and sanded edges (rounded), cut out of 3/4" select pine or cedar. I buy cloth bags with draw strings at Hobby Lobby. My wife prints a scripture and attaches it to the bags. I cut these out of scrap, so no cost in wood. I believe you can find these on the internet and they are called palm crosses. Just a suggestion.

Offline Sawdust#2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 02:45:35 pm »
Hey Toneman, great idea.  That's what I'm looking for.  Since my last post I found another cross that I'm going to use.  It is hard to describe.  The cross is 1/4" to 1/2" thick stock and is cut in an irregular cross shape and has routed rounded edges.  Then a simple Jesus figure outline is cut from the middle on the scroll saw.  They take less than five minutes to cut out and then there is sanding and finish.  Like your cross they fit nicely in the hand and just feel good.  I'll post a picture of some of these later.  I can't cut any more  until my saw is back from being rebuilt by Delta.  It should be back next week.

Are you okay with me using your design?  I won't use it unless you say it is okay.

John

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 06:30:42 pm »
By all means John! Yes, you may use the pattern! It is really just a free hand pattern I drew to fit in one's hand so it makes me happy to know you can use it. Like I said, these little crosses are big sellers at shows and also make great gifts to people and organizations. I love giving them to church youth groups, especially those going on mission trips!

Offline Sawdust#2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2017, 06:15:54 pm »
I really appreciate it.  It will be a while until I can attempt to duplicate what you've done because my scroll saw is being rebuilt. 

What part of the country do you live in? 

John G
St Cloud, MN

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2017, 09:45:12 am »
John, I live in Paris, Texas. We are located in NE Texas, just 15 miles south of the Red River, about 100 miles NE of Dallas, Texas.  We actually live in the "sticks"on 17 acres, 10 miles south of Paris in a small community of Biardstown.

Tony

Offline Swampy

• Swampy scrolls
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 04:09:53 pm »
Welcome aboard Sawdust#2!

Swampy,
FL
Gotta go walk my Iguana, who like most of us here in Florida, is an invasive species...

SMF

Teknoromi