Author Topic: Scroll saw rebuild  (Read 1020 times)

Offline Sawdust#2

• View Profile
Scroll saw rebuild
« on: March 30, 2017, 12:44:49 pm »
I own a Delta 40-695.  It is the twin of the DeWalt 788 but in more pleasing colors.  I might have considered the bright yellow saw if I had trouble finding it in my shop but that hasn't been a problem.  On a recent project I noticed some really loud and disturbing noises coming from within.  I had seen a video on YouTube showing rebuilding the DeWalt saw and knew of the problems these saws have with the needle bearing and insufficient lubrication when assembled at the factory.  Having been a mechanic before I became a woodworker I tore it all apart to investigate and found a number of bearings in need of replacement.  One was so dry it would hardly move.  No wonder it was making noise.  I contacted the bearing company mentioned in the video and found all the bearings but the inner races or sleeves were not available from them.  I reached out to Delta and found that they do not sell the bearings.  Their parts breakdown leaves something to be desired but did list some of the sleeves but I had some questions in my mind if I would be getting the right parts.  I contacted Delta and in talking with Steve in Tech Service found that my saw was still in warranty.  They have a 5 year warranty.  I hadn't even considered that it would be in warranty and I was looking forward to rebuilding it myself.  The saw is now being repaired at a Delta repair facility in the area where I live.  Praise God! 

Delta was really good about the warranty but if it had not been in warranty the only way to buy the parts to repair the machine is to buy what they call "assemblies".  For example the upper pivoting arm that holds the blade contains six bearings but it comes as an assembly from Delta for about $45.  I suspect that the cost for the various problem assemblies would soon exceed the price of saw new.  I have been coveting the new Jet JWSS-22 saw ever since it came on the market.  Being a mechanic, I wondered what makes it tick inside so I went to their website and to their parts breakdown.  Believe it or not the bearings are identical to the ones in the Delta and DeWalt saws.  In fact the entire mechanism is the same except that the motor is in a slightly different location and some other minor differences. 

I would advise anyone purchasing one of these saws to plan on doing some annual or semi-annual maintenance involving disassembly, inspection and lubrication.  It isn't that hard to do.  Plan on at least a morning or afternoon to accomplish the task.  Also make sure you have the tools needed.  A 19mm wrench will engage the counterweight on the motor to hold it stationary while removing the motor shaft nut which is a left hand thread.  Also take note as you disassemble the parts that some of the pivots have sleeves that are longer than the bearing, allowing for a washer to slip over the sleeve on each side.  Proper positioning of those washers is critical. 

John G

SMF

Teknoromi