Author Topic: Coasters  (Read 1671 times)

Offline woodcutter

• View Profile
Coasters
« on: March 28, 2017, 09:35:46 pm »
I made a set of Coasters a few months ago with four hardwoods from Robert Ungars Youtube Video and sprayed them with Krylon clear spray. My problem is when I put a coffee or tea mug on the coaster the bottom of the mug sticks to the coaster. Does anyone have a solution or has faced the same problem. Thanks Jim

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Coasters
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2017, 11:52:03 pm »
The problem with that is that the finish you used is not really rated to handle anything warm or warm and humid like a cup of coffee.  If you use a lacquer that will hold up better, you could use spar varnish as that is designed to be used on wooden spars used in sailing ships.  That comes in cans and in spray cans.  You could use nitrocellulose lacquer as well.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline loftyhermes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2017, 03:31:37 am »
I never put a finish on anything that comes into contact with food or heat.
happy scrolling
Steve
Outside a dog a scrollsaw is a mans best friend, inside a dog it's too dark to cut.

Offline Bill Wilson

• View Profile
    • Blazin' Blades Scrollers of Western PA
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2017, 02:45:45 pm »
I've been toying with the idea of making coasters and trying some of that 2 part epoxy, bar top finish.  It's a little pricey, but it's available at the Big Boxes and you can mix it in small quantities to avoid wasting it.  A buddy of mine built a bar counter and used it for a top coat.  Said it worked great.
Nobody ever worked so hard that milk squirted out of their nose.

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2017, 06:31:51 pm »
Hey I did it and IT WORKS....  Buy some 1/8" Cork sheets and cut to fit.  Adds to the Coasters also.   Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi