Author Topic: e commerce sites?  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Swampy

• Swampy scrolls
    • View Profile
e commerce sites?
« on: March 23, 2017, 06:39:29 pm »
I apologize if this isn't the right place for this question, and if this has been asked and answered before.

Is anyone here doing business online on one of the "marketplace platforms"? Etsy comes to mind first, but also ebay or any of the other ones? I am seriously considering setting something up somewhere, and would really appreciate the perspective of those who've been there and done that.

I've heard some of the horror stories with the above mentioned two, and even know personally of two instances (one each) where the vendors were nearly ruined due to less than honorable customers and their tactics. So, yes I know this thing swings both ways. I'm not looking to break any records, but I do know there's a seasonal rhythm to this and I wouldn't mind having the hobby pay for itself.

I'm looking for and at all of it; The good, the bad and the Ugly.

Private mail is fine if you'd like. And again, I apologize if playing off base.

Swampy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 06:41:37 pm by Swampy »
Gotta go walk my Iguana, who like most of us here in Florida, is an invasive species...

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: e commerce sites?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2017, 08:09:08 am »
I do business on ETSY.  Being as YOU are the vendor + Manufacturer + Distributer of the product you set the conditions and how you get paid.   For instance I sell handcrafted wooden coin banks.  I do not even begin to make them until the purchase price has actually cleared and made it into my accounts.  I accept all major credit cards, checks and money orders and since I use those funds to purchase the supplies to build the banks ordered nothing is lost if the transaction takes a dive for some reason.  I work in the JIT system.  Just In Time.  In other words I carry no inventory of parts other than minor incidentals.  I stock no completed items ( no room ) so basically the customer orders the item, pays for it, I purchase the supplies with the money that the customer just paid and construct it then I ship it.  It is transparent to the customer and shields me by having a paper trail for the payment and for the product being built.

Hope this helps a bit.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline herrwood

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2017, 02:11:31 pm »
I have been selling on ebay for about 20 yrs NOT woodworking items mostly old automotive and electronic items and have had only a few problems.  Any selling in today's computer oriented markets is very competitive. Handmade items are always subject to the buyers opinion as  once they receive the item it may not look exactly like it did in the photos.
  For ebay I figure about a 15% overhead . 

Offline Swampy

• Swampy scrolls
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 04:35:54 pm »

Actually DW, it helps a great deal. Thanks for taking the time.

I've sold a few items here and there, and keep a portfolio of pictures on my phone for just that reason. But I've been getting a few requests from friends and family lately and I'm wondering if it's time to take it online. Like I said before though, I'm being realistic about the numbers. I'm simply looking for a way to make it work for those ordering from me and for myself.

The Just in Time system works well for me too. 

I don't know if anyone here is aware but there are other lesser known places like aftcra.com , shophandmade.com and madeitmyself.com  Does anyone have any experience with any of them? The first two look especially interesting, while madeitmyself is apparently entirely free to the vendors.

Thanks again,

Swampy

I do business on ETSY.  Being as YOU are the vendor + Manufacturer + Distributer of the product you set the conditions and how you get paid.   For instance I sell handcrafted wooden coin banks.  I do not even begin to make them until the purchase price has actually cleared and made it into my accounts.  I accept all major credit cards, checks and money orders and since I use those funds to purchase the supplies to build the banks ordered nothing is lost if the transaction takes a dive for some reason.  I work in the JIT system.  Just In Time.  In other words I carry no inventory of parts other than minor incidentals.  I stock no completed items ( no room ) so basically the customer orders the item, pays for it, I purchase the supplies with the money that the customer just paid and construct it then I ship it.  It is transparent to the customer and shields me by having a paper trail for the payment and for the product being built.

Hope this helps a bit.

DW
Gotta go walk my Iguana, who like most of us here in Florida, is an invasive species...

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2017, 04:56:01 pm »
Swampy I have been a user of ETSY since 2009.  I have not been advertizing and it all has been word of mouth. 
In 2009 I sold one bank,
2010 I sold 2
in 2011 I sold 13
in 2014 I sold 66
in 2015 I sold 189
2016 i sold 95
so far this year I have sold 30 

2015 taught me that sometimes I needed to go into vacation mode and catch up.  ETSY allows you to go into vacation mode.  Essentially without taking the effort to advertise anywhere  and even if you do it will take approx. 3 - 5 years to get solidly established.   I suggest that you go to vistaprint.com and make up some business cards and when you sell something or talk to someone pass one out.  While I do not make enough to live on it does pay for the crafting of the banks and equipment maintenance with a bit left over.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Swampy

• Swampy scrolls
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2017, 04:49:28 pm »
Swampy I have been a user of ETSY since 2009.  I have not been advertizing and it all has been word of mouth. 

so far this year I have sold 30 

2015 taught me that sometimes I needed to go into vacation mode and catch up.  ETSY allows you to go into vacation mode.  Essentially without taking the effort to advertise anywhere  and even if you do it will take approx. 3 - 5 years to get solidly established.   I suggest that you go to vistaprint.com and make up some business cards and when you sell something or talk to someone pass one out.  While I do not make enough to live on it does pay for the crafting of the banks and equipment maintenance with a bit left over.

DW

That's exactly what I'm aiming for DW. I'm basically looking for this to pay for itself if I'm going to take on orders. Which is something I'm enjoying, but really wasn't expecting. A very nice surprise to say the least.

I'm familiar with some of the aspects, since I've been self employed for most of my adult life now. And yes, I agree that sometimes it takes a very long time to get established. But how is it they say? "I'm in it for the outcome, not the income."

As for the other sites I mentioned... Anyone know anything about them?

Thanks again for the input everyone! I appreciate your taking the time.

Swampy

SMF

Teknoromi