Author Topic: What glue to use now???  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Dannyb

• View Profile
What glue to use now???
« on: March 23, 2017, 03:55:27 pm »
I recently use, and have been ever since I have been into scroll sawing, the Duro spray adhesive.  I love it and it does a great job of adhering to the wood and leaving no residue when I have to put it straight on the wood.  I cannot find it anywhere for sale now and am going to have to change to another product.  What is another one out there that does a great job?  Thanks in advance!

Claymore

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: What glue to use now???
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2017, 08:52:23 pm »
Danny,

I've been using this for years:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/3M-10-25-oz-General-Purpose-45-Spray-Adhesive-45/100184611?keyword=3m+45+spray+glue

I know it releases from wood real well as I have tried it - accidentally.  You see I normally put blue tape over all the wood I use then adhere the pattern to the tape. The tape peels of easily so no muss, no fuss!

Karl

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2017, 10:02:44 am »
I've been using Loctite spray adhesive. It comes in several strengths but, I just use the "100 light". And it is repositionable.
Not touting Loctite as all that great but, it does work for me.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2017, 09:44:55 am »
I have been ,using 3M 77 for years and it seems to work real well for me.

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2017, 11:09:10 am »
Been using the 3M Super 77 since I started scrolling and was always happy with it until the last two cans I purchased.  Then the patterns started lifting up while I was scrolling.  Do not know why, but decided to try other products.  I bought a can of Loctite High Performance 200.  Didn't read the instructions until I got home, of course, and it says to spray both surfaces!  Now that is a real pain in the rear end.  It works great, but too much trouble.  So I will try something else next time.

Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Sawdust#2

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2017, 09:12:28 pm »
3M Super 77 has always been my choice.  I usually use clear packing tape over the wood especially if I'm using a wood that burns easily like cherry.  If you're like me you do a good sanding of the wood surface first but make sure you remove the all the dust before applying the tape or the pattern.  Then I spray the back of my pattern and apply it within a minute or so.  I've never had a pattern lift with this adhesive.  I use mineral spirits when removing the paper pattern.  Just dampen the paper with a clean rag and the adhesive dissolves and often the pattern will  come off in one piece.  The tape usually doesn't leave residue on the wood but if you don't use tape you will have to use a rag dampened with mineral spirits to remove the residue before applying finish.

I tried Loctite spray adhesive but I did have trouble with the pattern lifting.

John G

SMF

Teknoromi