Author Topic: Newbie from North Carolina  (Read 2224 times)

Offline robwmc

• View Profile
Newbie from North Carolina
« on: March 13, 2017, 06:10:14 pm »
Hi everyone, name is Rob and I'm from North Carolina.  I don't own a scroll saw right now but I have every other tool you can think of having. I am interested in scrolling
hope to purchase a saw soon.  Not sure what to buy yet so I hope I get some ideas from this forum.

Offline Scott

• View Profile
Re: Newbie from North Carolina
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2017, 12:02:31 pm »
Welcome Rob!
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken..."
Jn. 5:24

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 11:54:46 am »
Welcome Rob! I am Tony,aka,Toneman from Paris, Texas. I hesitate to recommend a scroll saw because I have only used Excalibur saw, which I have read you can presently no longer purchase. A complete set up (saw, stand, light, foot switch) can cost around $1000.00. You may want to do a topic search here on the forum and get some ideas from some other members.

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 10:16:25 pm »
Hello Rob and welcome to the forum.

I just purchased a new DeWalt saw after the used one I bought about 7 years ago had problems.  I got it for under 400 dollars shipped to home.  It is not a bad saw and I have always enjoyed using it.  I started out many years back on a Pro-Tech, but today I would recommend not to buy the cheap saws.  You get what you pay for.

Karl

Offline Sawdust#2

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2017, 11:58:31 am »
You can't go too far wrong with either the Delta 40-694 or 40-695 (same saw but with the stand and work light) or DeWalt 788.  To many they are considered an entry level saw.  I consider them more of a mid-range saw.  If you buy one that costs less than these you will soon wish you had a better one.  These saws can be had for about $500 with the stand and work light or under $400 without.  Delta has a better warranty (5 years) and has an upper arm that lifts and locks to make blade feeding and changing easier.  DeWalt doesn't have that feature.  Both have a 20" capacity.  These machines are well made but are known to have insufficient lubrication in the bearings when assembled at the factory.  Insufficient in that it is inadequate to last the life of the machine.  There are some videos done on YouTube that will tell you more.  If you buy a new one, plan on doing some maintenance in the first year or two involving lubricating these bearings with a good synthetic lubricant.  Once done you're probably good for a number of years.  The newest Jet scroll saw is a very nice saw and has some features that the Delta and DeWalt saws don't have, such as a slotted table for easier blade feeding but you're looking at about $1000.  The running gear in this saw uses the same bearings as the Delta and DeWalt so is probably prone to the same issues with bearings.  Hope that helps.

John in MN

Offline CraigRaw

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 05:41:00 am »
Welcome from Colorado.
Hope this link works, Steve does all kinds off scrollsaw reviews as well as VERY useful information.

The Delta 40-695 is top notch!
« Last Edit: October 19, 2021, 06:27:55 pm by CraigRaw »

Offline Mark

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 06:27:04 am »
Welcome from Colorado
Hope this link works, Steve does all kinds off scrollsaw reviews as well as VERY useful information.

https://www.youtube.com/user/sdgood/featured
Mark

"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers, 1897-1935
2021 Hawk 20" and Porter Cable 18"

Offline 3Dface

• getting hooked on wood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:54 pm »
hi rob,
i am new-ish to scrolling too.
my wife bought me a wen as a gift. it is not bad to start with if you zip tie the plain end adapter to the bottom holder for using spiral  blades.
i am using a used Craftsman 137.216020 now... i picked it up for $50 on the FB market place. it had a few issues and i fixed all but had to monkeyrig 1 part. on this saw i can cut 4, 1/8in thick picture frames at once. mounting them on a backer board makes them plenty strong.
i caught the scroll bug bad enough that it has pulled me away from my 3D faces.

good luck!!!
chris

SMF

Teknoromi