Author Topic: Newbie from Wisconsin  (Read 2115 times)

Offline Scott

• View Profile
Newbie from Wisconsin
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:52:59 am »
Hi All,
 I have been lurking for a while, enjoying the forum and the other connected websites, and decided to join. New to the scroll saw, but have used it before on a couple of projects. I am currently building a stand with a built in seat (adjustable) and will post a pic of it when it's finished. (Not sure how to do that)

My eventual goal is to start a toy making business to supplement our income in retirement. I am about 6-10 years away (Lord willing) so I thought I would get started now and practice for the children in our family.

I have a Craftsman 16" variable speed saw that I bought a couple of years ago. (Already saving for an upgrade) It takes pin and pinless blades, and I have an ample supply of Olsen blades on hand. I also have some simple patterns to practice on for a set of cars. I am really interested in building toy train sets, trying my hand at craft fairs and gift shops.

Thanks in advance for the welcome and I am looking forward to participating and posting stupid questions. :-)

;)
"Be yourself, everyone else is taken..."
Jn. 5:24

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
Re: Newbie from Wisconsin
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 12:14:38 pm »
Welcome Uncle Scott! Good to have you join us! I have been retired about 15 years now and my scroll saw hobby has turned into a small business! I started making things for the family and friends and the next thing I knew, I was selling at trade shows and craft and arts fairs. I also have my work in two stores and do pretty good, especially during the Christmas holidays! Not going to get rich, but, gives me spending change in my pocket!LOL My wife and I are both on social security and I do not want to make enough to get my social security taxable. So, we usually make enough during the year to pay our insurance, taxes, etc. We love selling at craft shows; meet so many great people and make new friends. Well, I have babbled enough; have fun with the scroll saw and happy scrolling!

Tony, aka Toneman from Paris, Texas.

Offline Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2017, 12:49:13 pm »
Thanks for the welcome! Good information, I hope you don't mind me picking your brain as I progress. What you are doing sounds exactly like what I want to be doing. I have been making things for family & friends for years, so I have about 40 years of woodworking experience. But now I would rather just make what I want and see if it sells, rather than make things on a commission basis. Or make gifts. It is what it is, and they either like it or don't. But at least I have fun making the item and don't have to worry about overly picky (and cheap!) people ...

Any idea where I can find info on how to post pictures?

Offline Scott

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2017, 02:53:31 pm »
Think I figured out the picture thing...

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2017, 07:29:47 am »
Hi Scott and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  Glad to have you.

Offline Toneman

• View Profile
    • TLC Miniature Horse Farm
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2017, 11:25:37 am »
You are welcome Uncle Scott! Please do not hesitate to ask questions, and remember, there is no such thing as a dumb question! There are many, many people on this forum who are more qualified than I to answer your questions. But, I am here if you have need for help. The photo question I would probably mess up. LOL You may tap the search button on the forum heading and type in something like "how to post photos" and I bet some blogs will appear.

SMF

Teknoromi