Author Topic: Woodtek MS-26 scroll saw chuck/blade holding issue  (Read 3871 times)

Offline CollegeShopTech

• View Profile
Woodtek MS-26 scroll saw chuck/blade holding issue
« on: March 07, 2017, 01:43:58 pm »
Hi,
I have a Woodtek MS-26 scroll saw. From what I've read online, saws labelled MS-26 were made for many manufacturers including National Brand & Woodtek. I manage a couple shops at a college and this saw was here when I started working so I don't know it's history. I tried loading Olson Plain End and Ryobi Pinned 5" blades, both work at the slow speed but tear out of the chuck out at the high speed (saw has 2 speeds). To get each end of the pinned blades to fit in the whole on the chuck  I had to grind off a little bit of the flat part of the blade that extends past the pin.  I am looking for input about how to load the blades securely in the chuck, what type of blade fits properly in the chuck, or whether I should get a new chuck/blade holding system. The saw itself seems in great shape. I have an 8 page pdf manual that has assembly diagrams and a parts list but not a lot of other info. I left a voicemail at Woodtek tech support but no reply yet. 3 images attached.

Thank you.

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
Re: Woodtek MS-26 scroll saw chuck/blade holding issue
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 04:08:54 pm »
Not knowing anything about your saw w/out some research, from the looks of your picture of the blade holder, it uses plain end blades. And takes a hex wrench to install the blade. Just by looking.

First off, your blade isn't centered in the blade holder. That is a must. If the blade isn't centered in the blade holders, they'll never stay in it. Your holding power is in the center of the blade holder. Next, take the hex screw out of the blade holder & have a look see at the end of it. If it's smooth, as I suspect it is, rub the end of the hex screw on a piece of 100 grit sandpaper to rough it up. This will help hold the blade. Do this to both ends.

Next thing is blade tension. Adjust your tension until you get high pitched "ping" from your blade. Then take a business card & check your blade to see if it's square with the table. If its square, & your blade holders are in good shape, you should be good to go.

In the meantime, I'll do some research to see if I can be of more assistance to you, Sir.
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline CollegeShopTech

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2017, 03:01:41 pm »
Hi sawdust703,
Thanks for the feedback. The way I understand this blade holder, the screw is not a set screw. The screw doesn't make contact with the blade to pin the blade in place. The screw squeezes the two sides of the blade holder together, and that squeezing holds the blade in place.
The screw hole only has threading on one side, and the screw goes in from the other side. I don't see how the blade could be centered, because the screw takes up the center of the blade holder. Here are a few more images that should explain this better than I can. Maybe I'm not using the blade holder properly?
Thank you for any input anyone has.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 09:56:30 am »
Could be the oils from the blades are in the chuck and letting the blade pull out. On my EX I have to clean off the blades with rubbing alcohol and cleaned the clamps with a paper towel and the alcohol and it helped alot. I also scuffed up the end of the blade.

SMF

Teknoromi