Author Topic: Blade Twisting when making turns  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Richard 33

• View Profile
Blade Twisting when making turns
« on: March 07, 2017, 10:23:18 am »
Hello to all. When I make turns while cutting my blades are twisting causing mistakes and I am also having trouble with it cutting straight. I am using a Dewalt 788 with Olsen blades while cutting 3/4 inch rough cut pine. I have tried every blade I have. OLeson 2/0 through 7 Ultra reverse blades as well as Bosch blades.
I am sure that many newbies have asked this but this is a new problem for since I have not had the issue before. I have been scrolling for almost one year and while that is not a long time and I know that I still have much to learn, I know that something is very wrong. I just hope it is something I am doing or not doing.

thanks for the help
Richard

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
Re: Blade Twisting when making turns
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 10:39:04 am »
Well, my first guess would be not enough tension on the blade.  Also, when you do a sharp turn, you need to give the blade a pause to catch up.  Watch the blade when you turn you will see it does not turn a quickly as you make the turn.  Pause a fraction of a second and you will see it the blade "come around" to the new direction, provided the tension is right.  The thicker the wood the longer the pause required. 

I have read posts where the tension mechanism on DeWalts can lose it ability do give adequate tension and I think there is an adjustment that can be make.  Maybe some DeWalt owner on here will speak about that. 
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 11:23:24 am »
I would agree with scrappile but, I would also suggest that when you come to a corner or place to turn, you just stop cutting for a split second, backup just a small fraction and then go back in for the turn. That will give you just a tad more saw kerf for relief for the blade to turn in and not bind.
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline ALG

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 01:39:44 pm »
I would suggest skip tooth blades on material as thick as you are using along with the previous advice.

Offline Richard 33

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 03:07:38 pm »
Thank you all for the advise and tips. I will try them and let yall know if that corrected the issues.

I have noticed that I have had to increasingly  increase the tension adjustment on my saw. I will also see if i can find the adjustment that was mentioned above. Thanks again

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 06:20:27 pm »
Richard, go online to:  http://www.scrollsaws.com/

On the left side of the screen go down the list of items under "Reviews" click on "DeWalt Tune up"

Scroll down about 1/2" page and there is an article on adjusting the tension....   I do not own a DeWalt any more so I don't know if it helps you but worth a read and try.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 06:24:33 pm by scrappile »
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline Richard 33

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 10:19:05 am »
Thank you for the advise.
Increasing the tension and slowing the speed of the saw along with slowing the turning speed seems to have corrected the issues.  I see it was user error the entire time.
Thanks again

SMF

Teknoromi