Author Topic: Little Owl on a Curling Stone  (Read 1600 times)

Claymore

Little Owl on a Curling Stone
« on: March 04, 2017, 01:51:28 pm »
Hi,
Here`s a little Intarsia of a Little Owl  :D   it measures 10" x 5" x 1" and is made from Sycamore and Oak and the Curling Stone is actually Granite effect Corian (easier to cut than granite)
To make the curling stone I had to glue 2 12mm thick pieces of Corian to get the depth needed to shape the stone (you cannot see the join) I used my micro woodturning lathe to make the walnut handle and used some 6mm stainless steel rod to make the metal handle (had to bend the metal and drill holes in the corian and walnut which the metal goes through so very solid mount)
I recently made another owl sitting on a post so wanted something different this time and as they do lots of Curling here it has worked out fine.......I posted a photo to one of my customers and they bought it within ten minutes so its been a success.
My next one will be a White Tailed Sea Eagle complete with large fish in its claws and should be fun.

Hope ya like it

Brian :)

Offline Intarsia92

• View Profile
Re: Little Owl on a Curling Stone
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2017, 12:09:19 pm »
Well Done!!!   Love the way you mounted the Owl on the Curling Stone. It's nice to see something out of the ordinary.

Al
Al

Hegner 20" Polymax

Claymore

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2017, 01:23:39 pm »
Cheers Al  8-) I have always liked the Little Owl pattern but having just done a Barn Owl on a post I wanted to try something different and as they do lots of Curling here (We can see where they quarried the granite on Ailsa Craig island from our place) I thought i`d try a stone. Corian is much easier to cut than granite on my scrollsaw lol.
For anyone wanting to try Corian you can give it a mirror finish polish using Solvol Autosol (chrome polish used for polishing classic cars etc) use a piece if 600 grit wet/dry paper and then polish with the autosol.

Cheers
Brian

Offline troy_curtis

• No matter where you go...there you are.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2017, 04:09:24 am »
Nice little owl, thank you for sharing.

SMF

Teknoromi