Author Topic: Just ordered a new DeWalt saw!  (Read 3163 times)

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Just ordered a new DeWalt saw!
« on: March 03, 2017, 08:48:08 pm »
After having problems with my old saw and getting the motor looked at ( see topic here: http://www.stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=19950.0 )I decided to get a new saw.

So the bottom line is this: a new DeWalt scroll saw for $381.70 and it will be delivered on Tuesday March 7! And when I pay it off in 6 months I will incur no charges.  (It will be paid off well before that!)

The breakdown is this:  Scroll saw is $445 on Amazon
                                      Shipping  is $54.00 on Amazon
                                      Signed up for Amazon Visa card and got $50 gift card.
                                      Signed up for Amazon Store card and got $40 gift card and 6 month no finance charge.
                                      Signed up for Amazon Prime and got free two day shipping and 30 day free trial.
                                      Florida tax was $26.  (No break there! :( )

I know I would have got free shipping anyway for the purchase over $45, but I wanted the saw sooner than later.  (Instant gratification issues???)

So for about $63/month for the next 6 months I will have a new saw and no issues (God willing).  Since I can get some overtime pay of about 2-3 hours per week I could actually have it paid of in about 1 month!  We'll see.

I do know Amazon prime won't last and the cards will probably be stopped sooner than later.  My wife and I haven't had credit card debt for a number of years now and I don't ever want to be back in that hole again!

So I'm hoping to have some things cut out next week that I've been itching to get to.

Karl
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:49:54 pm by KarlB »

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
Re: Just ordered a new DeWalt saw!
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 05:56:35 am »
I think you are a wise man. You went through the process of determining the best route; was not afraid to ask questions and when your decision was made; you acted with out hesitation. Dewalt is still a primary saw for guys like us and the price is something we can live with. Scrolling is an addiction that needs to be tended to other wise we go into withdrawal. I don't know if there is a 12 step program for scrollers who's life has become unmanageable and I am really not interested in finding out. Happy scrolling.

Offline busco

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2017, 10:18:12 pm »
I have been following your posts about your motor trouble.  I had the same troubles with my table saw motor a few years ago.  Decided to just get a new motor and quit beating my head against the wall as to the next step I should take.  Good luck with the one and be sure to show us some of the results.
Bill

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2017, 11:25:37 pm »
I don't see how Norm considers scrolling an addiction....just because I currently have 6 saws and spend most of my day in the shop doesn't prove anything!
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 09:52:07 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate them.

Well I got the saw yesterday and got busy so I ran out of time to post.

It got at my house at 5:01 and I got there at 5:06 - "missed it by that much".  So I opened the box and set up the saw.  The first thing I did was take off the hold down.  After I put the table on the machine I ran my hand over it and found too much texture and at least two small pits with raised sides.

I took the palm sander with 220 grit and moved up to 1200 grit with a block hand sand.  (This was after taking off the oil on the table top.)   I then put on two coats of Topcoat which is what I use on my table saw.  It made the table top much better and smoother. 

I then turned on the saw and was so pleasantly pleased with the sound and feel of the saw!!  As I turned up the saw there were two spots where the saw shook.  I think around 5-6 and then at top speed.  I backed it off until it didn't shake.

I then cut out a couple of puzzles from Saburo Oguro.  One I had started when the older saw "gave up the ghost".  A lot of curves in those puzzles which I love to cut.

So that ends my ordeal with my old and new saw.  Not to get back to cutting and staying pretty much quiet.

Karl

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2017, 11:25:58 am »
What is "Topcoat", where do you get it?

I'm from North Dakota

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2017, 02:17:25 pm »
Miss Nancy, might I ask, why don't ya consider scrolling an addiction? If you own 6 saws & spend most of your day in the shop, sounds like feedin' your addiction to me. ;D

I own 5, & a shop full of other toys, but spend most of my time at the scroll saw. I'd admit to bein' addicted! And proudly! ::) I figure it beats other addictions that are less productive, & dissolve the mind. Used to be, my addiction was trucking. My health took care of that one, so now all I have is my shop. And that was my brides' idea, mind ya! If not for that, & my acquired addiction to the saw & woodworking, she'd of had me in a sanitarium a LONG time ago. :o :P
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2017, 03:18:59 pm »
well
i'm with Nancy on this I mean just because  your favourite colour is yellow, and the first number that comes into your head is "788" surely that can't conclude anything  :) :) :) can it
dave

Offline daveo

• DT CRAFTS LINCS UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2017, 03:25:05 pm »
Karl
well you certainly picked the bones out of that deal
hope the new sure is fine  for you, and as with your other thread, yes any capital out lay is always a bind on finances
but just to make it all feel a little easier for you. If you take your purchase price of 381 bucks and then add about another 50-60 thats about the price we would expect to pay for an old well used type 1 here in the UK
and that is when you can find one
all the best
dave

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 05:27:45 pm »
What is "Topcoat", where do you get it?

Judy,

I looked at the can and it is actually GlideCote.  The company I work for gets it for our cabinet shop and we've had Top-Cote before.  I would think they are both available on Amazon.

They are both dry spray lubricants which reduces friction on the table.  I would also check a local supply house for woodworkers as they may have it as well.

Karl

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2017, 08:33:14 am »
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2017, 09:54:02 am »
I use that Johnsons paste wax on my tool tables. Works good make sit slick and the wood slides easier. I keep my scrollsaw covered in it and my table saw, miter saw, any tools that wood needs to slide I apply it let it sit then buff it off. I have to reapply pending how much use it gets. And its not too much for a can of it can be found at lowes in either the household cleaning isle or over by the paint section. I also apply it to the jigs I use in my table saw to make them slide easier as well.

SMF

Teknoromi