Author Topic: Newbie Scroller Questions  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Silvertayl 57

• View Profile
Newbie Scroller Questions
« on: February 15, 2017, 12:28:57 am »
Hi,

I am a newbie to scroll sawing and I have a few questions on getting started.

I bought an entry level scroll saw: a Ryobi 125W 45mm some 3 and 7mm plywood an some pin-less blades of varying types and sizes and I would like to begin scrolling. My aim is to make jigsaw puzzles, key-rings, word and wall art, however I need to practice before I attempt anything for real.

My questions are is the plywood okay for this and what type and size blades are best for practicing?

I apologize in advance if these questions have been asked and answered a thousand times before.

Thanks for reading.

Silvertayl 57

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Newbie Scroller Questions
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 01:45:25 am »
Plywood is ok but it can be rough on your blades.  The glue that holds it all together is slightly harder than the wood and will dull the blades faster.  If you can get some scrap pine, about 19mm / 3/4 inch that will do for a great start.  Mostly at first that will be about the thickest you will be cutting.  The best thing you can do is just to find a simple pattern and cut it and go from there.  Like most things it will take practice to get good at this.  Go to Steve's site and get his keyfob maker if you have not and make a few.  http://www.stevedgood.com/setupKeychain.exe  Above all have fun.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline julief

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 07:34:18 am »
Hi and welcome to the forum.  I'm Julie from Texas.  If you go to the back of the lumber department in Home Depot, you will find a rack of culled lumber.  It's extremely cheap and will work just fine for your practice.  I have even found poplar and oak back there that is great for us scrollers since we need smaller pieces, not full boards.  I recommend you start with a board and draw some lines on it.  Straight, wavy, zigzag, whatever.  Use any blade you want.  Try them all.  You need to get a feel for your saw and find out which blades "feel" right for you.  We are all different.  I don't recommend buying blades from any hardware store.  They are more expensive and substandard blades.  Order some Flying Dutchman or Olson Blades.  The blades can make all the difference in you control and cutting.  Mikes workshop sells a variety pack of Flying Dutchman  blades so you can get a feel for the different types of blades.  Good luck and enjoy. 

Offline Silvertayl 57

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 07:11:09 pm »
Thanks for the helpful tips and suggestions. We don't have Home Depot in Australia, however we do have Bunnings Warehouse which I beleive is similar so I'll try there for the lumber off cuts.

Thanks again, :)

Silvertayl 57

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 07:39:59 pm »
Another place to check is cabinet and flooring installer companies.  When they install those a lot of times they have to trim them and most of the time... at least here in the States they get tossed.  Just an idea.

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline Silvertayl 57

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2017, 07:50:01 pm »
Another place to check is cabinet and flooring installer companies.  When they install those a lot of times they have to trim them and most of the time... at least here in the States they get tossed.  Just an idea.

DW

Thanks DW I'll make some enquiries. :)

SMF

Teknoromi