Author Topic: Brush change in the DeWalt saw  (Read 7331 times)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
Re: Brush change in the DeWalt saw
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2017, 02:43:03 pm »
Maybe some of the DeWalt Service Centers actually take the saw completely apart, clean and repair it as their website states, but I took one of mine to Seattle - twice - and it came back in the same condition as when I took it...both times.

I'm currently considering purchasing another Jet, just in case they discontinue making it due to so many bad reviews.  If people correctly learned  how to use the new blade clamping system, it's a fantastic saw.
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2017, 03:29:20 pm »
Dewalt has a Guaranteed Repair Price program- somewhere around $270 if memory serves me correctly.  I used that when my motor died and had them do a complete overhaul and tune up on the saw.  I would only do it once though.  Next time is a new saw and this one will be parts.

The other thing I have been contemplating is modifying the saw ( after the motor dies ) and make it a direct drive belt system.  I have the parts and the knowledge to do it... just a matter of wanting to hehe.

DW

Are you saying DeWalt would repair for that amount?  And I guess if only under warranty still?

I thought the same thing for the old saw.  I don''t have the parts or knowledge, but I did watch McGyver a long time ago. :)  Actually I could probably figure something out, but I want to get back on the saw sooner than later.  I looked again at my "backup" craftsman to see if I could modify the blade holder, but it will take changing their clamping system.

Thanks DW.

Karl

Nope anytime..  At the time my saws warranty was gone by almost a full year.  There Guaranteed Repair Price Program is on all repairs out of warranty the price is guaranteed not to exceed the quoted estimate.  I has asked them to go over the saw and had that in the contracted quote this way I could get any bearings or other things replaced while they had the saw and had it apart.

DW

DW
Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2017, 07:07:20 pm »
Well after not hearing from the armature place I decided to call them.  A male answered and had obviously worked on it by his knowledge.  He said the "armature has an open circuit".  That it could be rewound, but would have to be sent out (I thought they did that here) and it would cost around $200!  Too much for this saw.

He said he has abut $60 plus time into the motor as he also turned the armature to make sure the commuter was true.  (Something I did not authorize.)  He did ask a rather strange question:  "Are you planning on throwing it away?"  I told him no and I'd be in this week to pick it up.  I'm can only speculate as to why he asked the question and the only thing I can come up with as he (the company) would keep the motor and effect a repair and resell the motor later. 

I hope I have no problem just paying their bench charge tomorrow when I pick up the motor!

Any thoughts?

Karl

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2017, 07:31:18 pm »
I personally would get the motor and see if I could find a used saw in craigs list that has problems other than the motor and us it for parts.  In the mean time you could use the GRP program at the Dewalt service center or just purchase a new saw and use that one as a parts source for the new one.  The GRP program would be the cost of a brand new motor and it would be installed by factory trained folks it would be somewhere close to $280 I believe.

DW

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2017, 09:07:59 pm »
I agree with you DW on the looking for a old saw, but I'm getting itchy to get back on the saw.

I can't seem to get over a new motor at $280 plus when at that point I'm three-fifths of a way to a new saw.  I am still contemplating the new motor from Ebay and that seller has great ratings, but again at $140 I am one-fifth of the way to a new saw.

I know I need a few needle bearings and sleeves so there's a bit more cost as well.

One idea I have is not taking my vacation from last year (that I missed) and seeing if my boss would give me the money instead and I would still keep working, thus giving me two weeks pay in one week.  This would give me immediate infusion of money to purchase a new saw!  Just thinking out loud!

Karl

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2017, 07:46:09 pm »
It is worth it, one time, to get the GRP repair at the service center after that then you might wish to consider a new saw.  If you decide to do the GRP ( guaranteed repair price ) at the service center make a detailed listing of things you want done.. might as well have them lube, clean and replace any worn parts that you know about when they are replacing the motor.  Just a thougth :)

DW

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2017, 08:50:24 pm »
Well I got back the motor today (it was all apart without the bearings attached) and it cost $45 with tax.  He said there was a broken circuit somewhere in the windings. 

After I inspected the parts at home I kinda think the insides were not from my motor.  I know this seems "conspiracy-ish" but I know I sanded my commuter and the one I got back was not sanded.  Anyway there is absolutely nothing I can do to prove anything so I must put it aside and move on.

A word of wisdom for anyone else (and for me in the future) - mark your stuff in an inconspicuous spot.  I should have done that when I had it a part.  Live and learn!

So my next step is going to be a new saw...which I just ordered a few minutes ago!

See the topic here:  http://www.stevedgood.com/community/index.php?topic=19965.msg176655#msg176655

Karl

BTW, thanks to everyone above for the great advise. It is well appreciated!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 08:52:18 pm by KarlB »

Offline scrappile

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2017, 11:31:04 am »
Just thought I'd post this and maybe someone now or in the future will find it useful.  Reading this thread and seeing what members were sayin about the price of a new motor for a Dewalt/Delta saw.  Is this a good deal?  If so might be worth repairing the old saw for a backup.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DeWALT-DW788-DELTA-40-690-RECIPROCATING-SCROLL-SAW-MOTOR-ASSY-286306-00/321947331282?_trksid=p2060778.c100290.m3507&_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D40954%26meid%3D9c4108362ffc44839134d886c3a67d26%26pid%3D100290%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D4%26mehot%3Dlo%26sd%3D321947331282
Paul from S.E. Washington State
Hegner Multimax-22 V and Seyco ST-21

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2017, 06:28:36 pm »
Yeah that was the one I was watching when there was one left. (Just a couple of days ago.)  Up above I mentioned that motor, but at $140 plus shipping that is still one quarter of a new saw.  Plus I would still need bearings at some point.

I decided to spend more money and get a new one with a good warranty as well.

That being said that looks like a good seller and it appears they have sold 18 of them.  When I looked for completed sales however I couldn't find past sales.

Anyway I think that would be a toss up for a lot of people.

Karl

SMF

Teknoromi