Author Topic: Shipping??? I mean, Really????  (Read 2619 times)

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
Shipping??? I mean, Really????
« on: February 03, 2017, 04:01:48 pm »
Steve, I just wanted to thank you again for making all of your wonderful patterns free and downloadable. It never fails to amaze me what we are charged for sending pieces of paper through the mail.

I understand that companies have to make money, it stands to reason. BUT, let's not get carried away.  I ordered four 8x10 patterns from The Winfield Collection. The plans were reasonable at $4.95 each. HOWEVER, they charged $6.95 to MAIL them. Not ship, not special delivery, just to MAIL them. Now, if they use the excuse that someone has to put them in an envelope, okay. But unless you bring them in for EACH individual mailing, there is absolutely no reason MAILING should cost $6.95. And if you pay them for the mailing, this person would be making over $100 an hour at that rate. I knew ahead of time about the extreme cost of mailing, but didn't think for a moment that it would be that outrageous. The cost to put a piece of paper in a paper envelope and have the post office pick it up surely can't be as expensive as the time it took to design the pattern. This is like buying on EBAY were the part is $2.00 and shipping is $45 from China. But, it's done, I have the four patterns, and I can guarantee you I will not be buying from The Winfield Collection again.....
Cut once...period

Offline KarlB

• Naples, Florida
    • View Profile
Re: Shipping??? I mean, Really????
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2017, 04:36:35 pm »
I agree with your sentiment.

I ordered once or twice from Winfield, but only when there was a discount or free shipping.  There are patterns I'd get from them, but like you I can't see my way to spending that much on shipping.

(Actually I also use to belong to there pattern club and got a lot of nice patterns that way.)

Karl

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2017, 05:00:10 pm »
I agree completely!  That's why it's so nice getting patterns free from Steve, or buying them from Sue Mey or Sheila Landry and having them sent by email.  Not only do you get them without shipping costs, but they arrive SO quickly.   Their patterns are well priced and there's always something new.

My other main pattern source is Pedro at finescrollsaw.com  in Spain.  His patterns are old ones that he has redrawn on the computer.  Prices are a bit steep, at least the Euro is way down so that helps.  Shipping on these is REALLY expensive unless you have him email them and then you can forward the email to a print shop where they have a larger printer.  If nothing else, it's fun to see what he has available!
Nancy
Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2017, 07:44:45 pm »
Unfortunately it is that way with everything.
To order a small replacement part that they can put in a
small bubble pack from Sears it can be $2 for the part and
almost $9 shipping.
On television they always say, "But, wait, there's more!" Get the second item free
for additional postage and handling! They come in the same package, don't they?
Oh, well. Sometimes you have to bite the bullet!

God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline apopj

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2017, 09:43:22 am »
Yes, Spirithorse, that's how it is... but, we DON"T have to bite the bullet.... we can say enough is enough and quite buying as many of those items as we can.... perhaps that is one way to show that we aren't going to put up with it any more.... and as long as Steve is around, we don't have to pay stupid prices for pieces of paper.....
Cut once...period

Offline Norm Fengstad

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2017, 12:04:23 pm »
I really feel thankful that I stumbled onto the Scroll Saw Workshop site a year ago. The pattern site is priceless for me. I view it often and download many patterns during the last year. In fact the community forum has become a daily ritual with me. Steve does not charge for the download patterns, this is a wonderful resource for a retired person on a limited pension. I do , however, donate to this site to help maintain it as I would not want it to disappear even though a $25.00 donation in American money translates to $38.00 dollars Canadian. Just a price to do business.The pattern sites that charge rather expensive fees for a pattern and shipping costs rarely get a view from me. It is not unusual for them to tack on extra high fee to ship to Canada. The advertised sites in Scroll Saw Workshop are not gougers and I have no objection to what they charge and the money exchange rate is standard. My buying standard is to first buy Canadian, then American. I do buy my blades from Sawbird, a Canadian distributer of quality blades but am tempted to try the Pegas or Flying Dutchman blades from companies that support Steve's site.
Enough rambling, just really wanted to say hi and thank you for being such a good resource.

Offline apopj

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2017, 02:15:58 pm »
Norm, I agree 100%. I have used and continue to use Steve's patterns and try to remember donations often. Just a great site with a great bunch of people.... I might add that I have been using Flying Dutchman blades for several months. I had used all of the others and think the FD blades give the best performance for price of any of them. Give the reverse spiral blades a try. It takes a bit to get used to, but using them for the Scrollers pictures sure make them easier.
Cut once...period

SMF

Teknoromi