Author Topic: Steve's Video - Wixey Digital Angle Gauge - for Jet and Excalibur Saws  (Read 1713 times)

Offline JPetrick

• View Profile
He demonstrated how he mounted it to his Jet scroll saw and the introduction says it will also work on the Excalibur.  I just want to be sure of something he did not clarify and that might be confusing or misleading to others as it was nearly to me.  Both of the saws he mentions in the video have heads, not beds, that tilt.  Therefore mounting it to the head like he did will work great for those saws.  However if you have a Dewalt or others whose bed tilts his method will not work.  For those other saws whose beds tilt you should be able to obtain the same advantage from the device by merely setting it on your table with its magnets rather than having to make a mount, etc.

I think it is a great tool to have in your arsenal of scroll saw gadgets.  But since I am kind of new to all this, and since I own a Dewalt saw, I just wanted to make sure what I say above is correct. 

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Steve's Video - Wixey Digital Angle Gauge - for Jet and Excalibur Saws
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2017, 12:49:16 pm »
This digital angle gauge is great for all dead on settings. I use mine on the table saw, drill press, band saw, and of course, scroll saw. My scroll saw is not a tilt head so I just set it on the table.    My blade has been set square to the table so when I zero out the gage, I can tilt my saw to what I want. The gage is to sensitive though and when I think I've got the right setting my locking the table usually changes the angle by of few decimals. I'm usually setting 3,4, up to 10 degrees, so the gage doesn't slide off the table.  However, if you were to set up for a 45 degree it would slide off. Cheers Brian

Offline Chuck Hans

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2017, 02:54:16 pm »
I'm usually setting 3,4, up to 10 degrees, so the gage doesn't slide off the table.  However, if you were to set up for a 45 degree it would slide off. Cheers Brian

Brian, the angle gauges have rare earth magnets in the base and will not slip off the table.

Offline Dakota Saw Dust

• Sioux Falls, South Dakota, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017, 06:38:56 pm »
The table has to have steel surface. Aluminum or other metals will let the gage slip off. Trust me - it does on my Hegner & RBI.  Cheers Brian

SMF

Teknoromi