Author Topic: Losing my grip  (Read 3692 times)

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
Losing my grip
« on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:41 pm »
The winter so far has been mild enough that I was able to spend some time in my unheated garage and do some scrolling.  Found my self making a few errors because I kept loosing my grip on the wood.  The pattern was covered in clear tape, but a few times I cut a little wwwiiidddeee on the curves because of not being able to keep a good grip on the wood.
I have two problems.  One I am old and my skin is dry.  Don't expect much help on that one.  But the other is how do you keep a good grip while sawing?  Don't want to use a heavy cream that may get onto the project I am making.  Just looking for ideas.
Thanks,
Bellman70
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Offline jscott2

• View Profile
Re: Losing my grip
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2017, 11:05:07 pm »
I know most people don't like gloves in the shop but for scroll saw work the snug rubber gloves - like doctor's gloves, might improve your grip on the wood.

Jim
Using a Delta 40-690 in the Montreal, Quebec (Canada) area

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2017, 11:40:07 pm »
My hands are often cold, even in a heated shop, so I generally wear gloves.  I've tried many kinds, but my favorite is Wonder Grip Nearly Naked.  There's WG1850AC also on the glove.  They really grip the wood and are snug fitting, so no extra bulky fabric getting in the way.  Especially helpful for thin wood that's hard to grip. 

Not sure where I actually bought them, but also saw them on ebay.
Nancy

Nancy from Washington state
I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 01:46:33 am »
Perhaps you could put some masking tape or painters tape in areas that
don't obscure your pattern. That would give you something better than
clear tape to grip with.
Good luck and God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Dennis123

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2017, 08:25:39 am »
I frequently use an office supply product called SORTKWIK.  It comes in a couple of sizes and only costs a couple of bucks.  It's non-toxic, hygienic and lasts a long time. It's intended for use when sorting papers so that you don't have to keep licking your fingers.  I use it all the time in my shop when scrolling.  You can find it any any office supply store.

Dennis

Offline Silver Sliver

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 09:31:56 am »
I don't know the shape and size of the wood you are cutting, but I have several of the 4 in ratchet clamps that I use.  They give me "handles" to hold on to.  They are specially helpful for small items, although bigger clamps for bigger patterns will work too.  Just my nickels worth.   Silver Sliver

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 10:53:09 am »
Just as another suggestion.....Try those rubber fingertip things that people shuffling through pages of paper use. I'll bet you could get a box of them from an office supply store at a reasonable price. :)
(no personal experience however)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline bellman70

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2017, 10:30:38 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the great advice.  Rubber gloves?  I use those every time I stain anything.  Never thought of that.  I have seen gloves with rubber coated palms and fingers, but they look too bulky to be useful.  Rubber Fingers?  Just today my wife was cleaning out a box of old sewing and craft stuff and found a bunch of rubber fingers that were too big for her.  Just fit me!

Again, thank you.  You have given me some great ideas and I will be trying them out over the next few months.

Bellman70
It's nice to be important, but more important to be nice.

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2017, 04:47:33 pm »
Thanks to everyone for the great advice.  Rubber gloves?  I use those every time I stain anything.  Never thought of that.  I have seen gloves with rubber coated palms and fingers, but they look too bulky to be useful.  Rubber Fingers?  Just today my wife was cleaning out a box of old sewing and craft stuff and found a bunch of rubber fingers that were too big for her.  Just fit me!

Again, thank you.  You have given me some great ideas and I will be trying them out over the next few months.

Bellman70

Those rubber coated gloves are bulky more so when trying to change blades or getting into intracate work I tried them since my garage was cold it didn't work too well, I ended up getting a pair of jersey gloves and cutting the finger tips off to be able to feel but keep my hands warm from the cold table top.

Offline MOONIE

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 10:08:54 pm »
I've been using the rubber finger tips for years.   Wouldn't cut without them.  I buy them by the box at Staples.   When its cold you could cut the finger tips off cotton gloves and use the rubber finger tips.   It'll work!
MOONIE

Offline Danny

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2017, 08:55:17 am »
Can't help with Cold Hands.  Same problem for me sometimes.
To me using Clear Packing Tape on top has its benefits for helping keep the blade lubricated....BUT....

For the same reasons stated about in times not seeing that line I decided to Discontinue using it. 

I learned from others here that Sand the Blank to 220.  Clean dust.  Spray back of pattern with spray glue.

Apply to wood blank and Scroll away.  Had been the difference between Night and Day to me.

Used Blue painters tape like....FOREVER....  To much time removing it afterwards.   Not worth the trouble.

Anyway this is just My Thoughts.............................Danny  :+}
Danny  :+}

SMF

Teknoromi