Author Topic: Salt and Pepper Shaker Patterns  (Read 3937 times)

Offline preztoy

• View Profile
Salt and Pepper Shaker Patterns
« on: January 23, 2017, 10:13:30 am »
I recently received the new Scroll Saw Woodworking and Crafts Magazine... In the mag, there was a pattern for Salt and Pepper Shakers..  I have made a few sets of them and really enjoyed doing so.  I was wondering if some one may have some patterns of different style shakers.. I have done a google search and haven't found any.  I have tried to make my own, but that hasn't quite panned out...  Thanks in advance for any help!!!

Offline spirithorse

• View Profile
Re: Salt and Pepper Shaker Patterns
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2017, 01:51:17 am »
I have no idea what your SSWC patterns look like but, here are some
FREE patterns on the web.
http://www.woodworkersworkshop.com/resources/index.php?cat=649

God Bless! Spirithorse

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2017, 11:05:26 am »
Here are some salt & pepper shakers I made way back in 2010. My own design but, the possibilities are endless.

Yes, the last one is my favorite wood...PLY! :)
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline preztoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2017, 12:19:39 pm »
Thanks for the replies!!  Here is a picture of the ones I have made from the pattern in the SSW magazine....  I too use plywood to make some things.  I think it makes some pieces more interesting.  Spirithorse, I will check out that link, thanks!!!  Rapid Roger, those shakers are awesome!!  Would you be will to share one of the patterns?
Thanks,
Preston

Offline Rapid Roger

• Hutchinson, Kansas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2017, 12:51:20 pm »
preztoy,
I am always happy to help out anyway I can however, I don't have any patterns for those. I made them 7 years ago for starters and I made my own patterns for a onetime use only.I can tell you HOW I made them however.
I started by using some 1-1/2" square blanks about 4" tall. Using a table saw I sliced off about 3/8" off of each end. Then I drilled a 1" hole down the center of the largest piece and a 3/8" hole in the bottom piece. I re-glued the top and bottom pieces back on the center (larger) piece so that it looked like the original blank but, was hollow.
I drew my own patterns on paper carefully using the measurements of the blank and keeping in mind that there was a 1" hole in there :) I made the pattern to cover two sides of the blank after being folded in half to form an L shape. Then cut them out as you do with a 3D piece.
You can tape the "drop" pieces back in to keep everything square for cutting the in the other direction.
Then drill small holes in the center of the top piece (so the salt can come out :) ) Sand, finish and add a cork for the bottom filler hole.
Nothing to it.....Plan on making a bunch of them. As I said the possibilities are endless and EVERY ONE OF THEM is a bit different making them truly "One Offs".

Hope that helps you a bit.
Rog
An ounce of responsablity is worth 10 pounds of state and fedral laws.

Offline preztoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2017, 09:33:00 pm »
Thanks!!  That does help.  Really appreciate it.  When things settle a bit around here, I will give it a shot again using your instructions.  I do have corel draw, and tried with that a couple times...  But things seem to get crazy around here when I sit at the computer trying to do something.  Not to mention my youngest son and I are working on his Pinewood Derby Car for Cub Scouts..  But that's part of parenthood....  Thanks again, I really do appreciate the help!!

SMF

Teknoromi