Author Topic: Subjective "JET" review....  (Read 3455 times)

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
Subjective "JET" review....
« on: January 21, 2017, 08:52:28 pm »
Hi Steve,
I watched your review of the new Jet scroll saw and have a couple of questions. When you reviewed the Excalibur a few years ago, you were concerned about the small amount of area ahead of the blade. When you looked at the Jet, this wasn't even mentioned. I was told it was a "tool less" blade change, but then it is mentioned there is a built in tool slot on the saw. Can you just reach under the table without looking and remove the blade for "top feeding"? I cannot imagine having to slide my stool back over 150 times in a pattern to feed the blade through the bottom trying to find that little hole. While it is nice that there is an extra blade holder, in an intricate pattern, you may go through 20 blades. That seems like an awful lot of time having to stop sawing to remount blades when the Excalibur and DeWalt allow it from sitting on the stool blindfolded. Do you honestly think this saw is a MAJOR IMPROVEMENT over the saws that are out there? By the way, I asked the manager of the local WoodCraft store when they would be getting the JET in and his replay was "hopefully never". "When we looked at them at the dealer trade show, the distributer couldn't get it to load blades right and he was continually crawling under the table to change blades". Anyhow, thought I'd ask you what you really thought about the JET. Thanks for the help and all of the plans. Your YOUTUBE videos and plans are the best thing that has ever happened to scrolling... THANK YOU!!!
Cut once...period

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
Re: Subjective "JET" review....
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2017, 11:00:28 pm »
He has two reviews on the jet on his youtube one is a unboxing another is a more in depth review he does at one point talk more about the blade change and IIRC says that with practice you could do top feeding but would take time to feel where the lower blade holder snaps into the holder, think he says he could be done but his concern was how much could you do that or even taken the lower blade holder out is going to put wear on those tangs or clips that hold the lower blade clamps in place. He also mentions thats a part to have a couple on hand when they wear out you are not waiting for order to come in and have down time.

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 11:41:03 pm »
Just some thoughts on the new Jet saw.  I currently have DeWalts and Excaliburs and the new Jet.  The only one I use now is the Jet.  While I can't say I love the bottom blade holder, once you get used to it, it's no big deal, and yes, you can put it in without looking.  The top blade holder is FANTASTIC!   As someone who uses their saw up to 6 hours a day, it sure is nice to never have to mess with that thumb screw again.  As anyone can see, it's pretty much a white Excalibur, but with all the things I didn't like about the Ex redesigned and more functional.

As far as having to move back to get the blade through from the bottom, I have no problem.  I was a top feeder with the DeWalt, but have not had a problem adjusting.  The hole in the table is much closer than the 788, which turns out to be better for me.  I wear trifocals and used to have kind of jut my neck forward and tip my head up to look through the very bottom of the lenses.  Now it's much easier, and my neck pain is gone.

My only recommendation for someone who is considering buying the new Jet, is to make sure you also get the stand.  I bought them together, but thought I'd just sit it on the desk where the DeWalt had been, but there was WAY too much vibration.  It's a corner desk, 6 feet on each side, made of 2X6's and bolted to the floor.  The DeWalt wasn't even bolted down and it worked fine.  Now the desk is 2 feet shorter on the right side to make room for the Jet on it's stand.  No more vibration problems.

To sum up, I LOVE the saw, and I think the guys at Woodcraft just need to learn how to operate it.  Sometimes  things take a bit of practice to learn, but it's so worth it.  That's the whole point of the new blade clamp system...it's new! 
Nancy from Washington state

I'd give up chocolate, but I'm no quitter!

Offline sgood

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Scrollsaw Workshop
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2017, 12:27:06 am »
Hi apopj, my personal opinion is that if you are a dedicated top feeder you should look at a different machine. If you are open to make the change then make sure you go use the machine if possible before you buy.

I don't know if you could call the blade change tool free. I guess you could say it does not require external tools. Either way it has become second nature for me in a short time. Keep in mind that I am a bottom feeder.

The trade off of the having the outstanding upper clamp is the less desirable lower clamp. I can see some people disliking the lower clamp and understand their thoughts. As a bottom feeder I do not personally find it to be a problem and I was a skeptic. The upper clamp is so nice that for me it more than makes up for the lower clamp.

If you read my blog you know that the patterns I design are not that complex. None of the 2,000 patterns in my catalog would take more than two or three blade changes at most. If you are building very complex projects like the Bell Tower clock the blade changes might be a bigger issue but not for the more casual scroller.   

I like the Jet machine very much. It's not perfect but neither are any of the others. At this point it will likely be my go to saw at least until the next great machine comes along. That said if I had to go back the the Excalibur it would not be a problem. I love that machine also. I would not even be that sad to go back to the DeWalt. I can get the job done with any of them and be happy.

Thanks for the kind words about my blog. It always feels good when someone appreciates what I do. The truth is I get way more out of it than I put into it. I have what I consider friend in dozens of countries all over the world. I enjoy that a lot.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 12:30:38 am by sgood »

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2017, 10:19:06 am »
Thanks, Steve.... My question was in no way critical of your review, I was trying to clear up what you were saying in my own mind. I took your advise when I purchased my DeWalt and again with the purchase of my Excalibur. I have frequented many of the companies you have mentioned, including the lift for the 788. I have never been led astray by any of your recommendations. And, I find your patterns are outstanding. Just difficult enough to make them interesting but complex enough to make my family wonder how I am able to make something so nice, knowing that I can't walk and chew gum.
I went to your site to order the pattern DVD and noticed you do not accept PayPal. Is there a reason? I'm still a bit leary of putting my credit card number out there of the world to see. In the mean time, thanks again for all you do for this great hobby....  Jeff
Cut once...period

Offline sistermaide

• Scrolling and Turning, my favorites!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2017, 07:57:34 pm »
I really was entertained by the review  :)....I mean that in a good way  8)! I don't really watch much TV with my spouse, I would rather expand my brain, than prop up my feet on the couch.
I think I would like to actually put my hands on one. I mean, like I have the Dewalt I, :) an Excalibur, :D and a Delta, :o that is actually the failed Dewalt with a paint job, and my newest addition to my scrolling department, is the last Eclipse,  ;D made by Ernie.
Anyway, This weekend, is The Woodworking Tool Show in Columbus Ohio, and I have heard rumors that there could be a Jet there on display...maybe even touch worthy! 
Maybe they will let us try it out?  :o ...Hope!..Hope!!  ;D
The week after that, as we are moving into February already, is the same show in Indianapolis, Indiana...I hope to go there also. (Just HAVE to look at all the latest and greatest tools!)
I too am wondering about that slot in the table. Seems I have spent a lot of time with different methods to get zero clearance with the ones I have, to not wonder how well that would want to grab my tiny falling center cuts and hang me up.
Thanks to Steve for doing a good review! I think we all, especially enjoy the 'real person' view point he gives us!
You can't start a project any sooner than now! ;)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2017, 11:35:10 pm »
Just my 2 cents about the center slot.  I've had my Jet since Dec 2 and have never had any trouble with tiny pieces falling in there and catching as I cut.  Just hasn't been an issue.  Also, when I was researching the saw, the guys at Woodcraft said they didn't want to carry it because the slot would weaken the table.  Since it's a cast iron table, that certainly isn't a problem.

If you get to try the saw at a show, make sure you try the bottom blade holder to get the feel for how far you can put the blade in.  As Steve said in his review, if you put it too far in, the blade won't be long enough to hit the "stop" in the upper holder.  Put it in just far enough to clamp securely and no more.  It does take a bit of getting used to, but I'm not all that bright and I figured it out, so the rest of you should be fine!

Hope you get to try one, and I'm jealous that you get to go to the shows... there aren't any close to me at all.  Used to be some just across the line in Canada - which is only 1/4 mile from me - but not for the past several years.
Nancy in Washington state.

Offline Judy Hunter

• The world moves on.
    • View Profile
    • Artistic Sawdust and Other Fun Stuff
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2017, 11:03:47 am »
My son has a Jet and loves it. Of course I have tried his and am saving up for mine.  The only problem is it takes just a LITTLE bit of getting used to doing things a bit different. But then we don't have to crank our cars any more. (yes I am THAT old).  In fact my last car doesn't even require a KEY.

The world moves on folks and I am waddling right along with it.

Yeah I sure wish there were shows a little closer to North Dakota too.
I'm from North Dakota

Offline sistermaide

• Scrolling and Turning, my favorites!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 05:19:27 pm »
I'm not sure how old you would be, cranking cars...I remember my dad having a small farm tractor with a crank, and a great aunt had an old car that could be cranked, but she also could use the battery with a button inside. But I am not old yet. Well maybe if you are short person that rides my school bus, I might be old then. hahahaha... ;D

I did get to use the JET at the show. I was not overly impressed, but part of it might be that it was sitting in front, where, I think people were thoughtlessly fidgeting with the tension knob, which of course tends to throw the whole system out of whack. Once we got it adjusted, it was much better. I really liked that the grip on the blade and the tension was done in one smooth movement.  :) I am a bottom feeder, so the clamp device on the bottom really isn't a personal problem to me, except that we discovered how easy it is to loose one.. I didn't get to go on Friday, so when I got there on Saturday, we couldn't find the little clamp, I am guessing that someone left the blade loose on the top, and so the blade and clamp must have fallen out? ...at any rate, I think that could be an issue, since I try not to leave tension on my blades / saws, when not in use. I did find that if you don't get the blade properly installed in the clamp, and leave it stick proud of the cylinder, you can't get it to tilt properly to go to the top. I was just doing page holders, which is a very simple small project, for the make-it take-it we were doing, so I don't know if the vacuum holes in the table would really be a lot of problems with the pieces trapping your work.
Since we were in the American public, we kept the guard in place, which was a real pain to me, but it did help some of the inexperienced people hold down the wood.
I wish there were a positive stop in the back of the upper blade clamp, as I found it really difficult to line the blade up between the little set screw, where it needs to be to grip it.  :-[ This was embarrassing, to me, as I was trying to give the saw a fair sales pitch, since the store was kind enough to let them out for the public to test drive.
I do really like the saw in the overall appearance, and operation, however, I don't think I will give up any of my Dewalts, to make room for one, as I had supposed I might consider doing.
I too wish these shows were spread around a little better so more of you could actually go, so I think I will mention it to the owner of the The Woodworking Tools Shows.
You can't start a project any sooner than now! ;)

Offline Wooden Lace

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 06:11:02 pm »
It's pretty sad when a company develops a fantastic new product, but can't bother to train some representatives to show how to use it.   The clamping system does take some getting used to, but when the bottom blade holder is properly installed, it won't fall out even if there isn't any tension on the blade.  All you need to do to install it is just push it in, resting on the 2 small supports....it's very easy.

As to there not being a positive stop in the top blade clamp, there actually is, but it's very small and if you've got the blade inserted too far into the bottom holder, your blade won't be long enough to reach the stop.  As I said, it's small, but at the right side of the top blade holder.

I sure hope they can get some trained people to demo this saw, or sales will probably be so bad they will quit making it, which would be a shame.  It really is an improvement on every other clamping system,  once you learn how to operate it.   I love mine!
Nancy

SMF

Teknoromi