Author Topic: Scroll Saw Popularity....  (Read 2523 times)

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
Scroll Saw Popularity....
« on: January 25, 2017, 09:32:42 am »
Hello all,   I have been looking around to find another scroll saw ( I have a DeWalt 788 and Excalibur EX-21) and when I go to Ray's site at Seyco, every saw they handle is out of stock, including the new Jet 21. Is there something I have missed while in the Scroll Troll Cave or has scrolling become so popular every saw being made is sold? Just kind of curious.....

Jeff
Cut once...period

Offline DWSudekum

• View Profile
    • The DW Collection
Re: Scroll Saw Popularity....
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2017, 02:36:59 pm »
Jeff for like the last 9 months the Excalibur has been unavailable anywhere in the world it seems.  None of the normal outlets for it have any in stock and do not seem to know when they are going to get more.  Not sure about the Dewalt as I continue to see them at Woodcraft here and sometimes the Jet also.

DW

Life is tough, it is even tougher if you are stupid  -  John Wayne

Offline sawdust703

• to soon old, to late smart
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2017, 11:59:00 pm »
I can't help but ask Mr. Jeff, what breed of saw are you lookin' for? Have you considered the Hawk line of saws? You can get good deals on them sometimes on craigs list. Or, go to their web site.

I own five myself. 2 Craftsman, & one of those I've worn out. A Hitachi CW-40. That was my first brand new saw 20+ years ago, & it still runs like new. My brides master mechanic saw, & our most recent investment, a BM - 26 Hawk. It's my work horse.

A friendly word of advice from experience. Pick a saw with plenty of hp, & excellent tech & parts service. You'll be happier in the long run. my .02.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 12:00:32 am by sawdust703 »
Sawdust703(Brad)

Offline apopj

• I support the THIN BLUE LINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2017, 01:05:02 pm »
Thanks for the help guys..... I currently own an Excalibur EX-21, a DeWalt 788/2, and an old craftsman vibrator..... I'm really hard pressed between the Ex and the De. I jump from one to the other constantly. I like the quickness of blade change (for me) of the EX but like the huge table of the De. I am a top feeder and usually use several blades for each pattern and then several of each of those so quick change is important. Like most of us Excalibur owners, I am a bit concerned with replacement parts now that the Ex is no longer going to be made. I may just order spare clamps, brushes and tensioner cam to be on the safe side. But, while not really looking for a new saw, it just seemed that when I looked online, everyone was out of stock on popular models. I do see that Woodcraft is having a sale. I think the 788 will be $489 with stand, which seems a pretty fair deal. My local store isn't planning on carrying the JET but Hartville Tools nearby has one on the floor. For some reason, the upper clamp is taped over so you can't try it. Wonder if they're trying to hide something???
Anyhow, thanks again....
Cut once...period

Offline Paladin

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2017, 04:43:59 pm »
If a tool shop taped over the top clamp on a Jet, then they are fools and will never sell one.  That is the biggest selling point of that saw.

Steve

Offline Jim Finn

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2017, 06:37:59 pm »
I have had five scroll saws.  I still have three.  First, a Harbor Freight saw, two of them,... crap!  Then a De Walt.  It  lasted twenty months and died.  I wised up in 2008  and bought the best Hegner saw.  Polymax-3.  Not sure if it would last so I bought a used Hegner (25" multimax-3) as a back-up.  It was made in 1986 and still works well and parts are still available for it.  I found a 1988 Jet -15"  for $15 and it has become my" go to" saw.  I use the Polymax for doing all my inlays.
      I use my scroll saws a lot.  Most every day.  I spend 40 hours a week in my workshop (life is good)  All these three saws have induction motors.  The three that I wore out quickly had universal motors (also called DC motors , or brushed motors).  The De Walt was smooth running and easy to use.  Too bad it was not durable.
20"Hegner Polymax-3 (2008)
25"Hegner Multimax-3 (1986)

No PHD, just a  DD 214

Offline dirtrider73068

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2017, 04:45:39 pm »
Ray at Seyco said he will still carry and sale parts for EX saws just no longer will sell EX saws as they have been bought out and another company is going to make the EX saw under a different name now won't be called excalibur something like excelsior or something like that.

SMF

Teknoromi